Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1964 Doble D Mint Mark Nickel

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

United States
6 Posts
 Posted 02/19/2020  4:40 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Salem D to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hey, I'm just getting into coins and metals, so I'm a newbie. I don't know what it was that got me hooked so to speak but after watching many videos on YouTube about coins I started looking at my own change and seeing if I can spot anything interesting. So I came across this 1964 Jefferson nickel with a Denver mint mark that appears to have an error, the error being a D over a D.. the pictures really don't do it justice and sorry I don't have a better camera but in person with a magnifying glass the error is very noticeable. Just wondering if I'm mistaken and if I'm not what should I do next, thanks!
Learn More...
United States
83885 Posts
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
43098 Posts
 Posted 02/19/2020  5:07 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
When looking at mintmarks on the coins, if the side towards the closest rim is looking different. It is probably die wear. That is what I'm seeing on your image. Die wear moves the devices towards the closest rim.

The reason I used this year, it that the steel dies and the steel planchets made the dies wear out a lot faster. So realizing this will help you to see this quicker when searching through coins. The other thing that affects the devices on the sides that are not closer to the rims is Machine Doubling. But MD can happen on either the closest or the furthest from the rim. On a RPM, the devices need to show a spread between the punching of the mintmarks in order to be a RPM. Note this one:

Even though the mintmark is larger than normal, it doesn't show a spread between the punchings.
What is Spread?:

Note how the partial mintmark punch is raised. That is because that punch into the die left an incuse mark, making a raised mark on the coins.

Here is another RPM. Note how the RPM is raised like the mintmark, but showing a spread between the two punchings:

If the area you are looking at doesn't copy the shape of a punch, then it can't be a RPM. It is is level with the surface, it may be just a stain.
Sometimes RPMs can show more than just two punchings:

But note on all of these, the RPM is raised above the surface of the fields.

CoopHome : RPM spread raised mintmarks
Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
United States
6 Posts
 Posted 02/19/2020  11:10 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Salem D to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Ok I just went over and over this and I'm almost sure it's not a stain due to normal wear.. I'm pretty sure what I see is a double strike because that's what it looks like, a lot like the last picture you posted, thanks
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.43 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05