Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Dollar Overdate 1882/1

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
Netherlands
725 Posts
 Posted 02/20/2020  08:39 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add vince1977 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I was wondering if this dollar I have in my collection is a overdate. The 2 looks very odd to me. Like there is a number beneeth..

Pillar of the Community
United States
9193 Posts
 Posted 02/20/2020  11:33 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add dave700x to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
There is no 2/1 overdate and this appears to be a circulation hit that moved some metal.
1883-O Nut
Pillar of the Community
United States
2566 Posts
 Posted 02/20/2020  12:02 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Slider23 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Dave,
Could the coin be a VAM 2b metal in 2?
Pillar of the Community
United States
9193 Posts
 Posted 02/20/2020  3:48 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add dave700x to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It could be a filled 2 but I can't tell for sure.
1883-O Nut
Pillar of the Community
Netherlands
725 Posts
 Posted 02/21/2020  04:56 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add vince1977 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
What does that mean?
Pillar of the Community
United States
9193 Posts
 Posted 02/21/2020  09:28 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add dave700x to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
There are several obverse dies that have a rough surface finish inside the date digits. It appears the surface inside these were recessed from the surface of the fields and as a result they didn't clean up during the die preparation process.
To the best of my knowledge none of these carry a premium.
1883-O Nut
Pillar of the Community
Netherlands
725 Posts
 Posted 02/27/2020  04:19 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add vince1977 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you for your responses! I never would have figure this out.
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.47 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05