Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Researching What Caused The Raised Areas In The Spitting Eagle Variety

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

United States
22 Posts
 Posted 02/22/2020  1:41 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Davere to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I'm looking for any information on the spitting eagle variety . also why is the only year graded for this variety the 1983 P quarter? I know its not die cracks or over polishing of the dies. I have a 1967 quarter that is definitely a spitting eagle variety that has numerous raised areas on the obverse and reverse that also appears on of the known 1983 P quarters. These raised areas are clash like however they appear more shaped like strike overs because there aren't straight lines like those seen in clashed coins. if you look just below the right wing where (if eagles had a shoulder) the wing begins at the neck, you will see a perfect example of what I'm seeing in numerous places on this variety.

Pillar of the Community
United States
2773 Posts
 Posted 02/22/2020  1:53 pm  Show Profile   Check Tanman2001's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Tanman2001 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The spitting eagle variety is simply a strong die clash of Washington's neck below the beak of the eagle.

Why only 1983-P is recognized beats me. Also why this one became such a popular variety beats me as well.
United States
22 Posts
 Posted 02/22/2020  2:09 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Davere to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm seeing anomalies like these raised areas on the obverse also. Is this normal to see on die clashed coins?
United States
22 Posts
 Posted 02/22/2020  2:40 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Davere to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I think you are correct Tanman2001. The other raised area under the right shoulder wing matches with the other side of the neck. What exactly is a die clash? Its difficult to understand? How can the obverse and reverse dies that hit each other because of a missing planchet cause this? What am I missing?
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
43265 Posts
 Posted 02/22/2020  2:58 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Wexler's site mentions this: http://doubleddie.com/1686174.html

Quote:

1941 25¢ WWHR-001 "Best Of" Variety Doubled Working Hub

Description: A strong Class IV spread to the north shows on the eagle's beak, the underside of the arrow shafts below the eagle's talons, the underside of the central area of the wreath, and the leave to the right of the bottom of the right wing.

Die Markers: Obverse: Will vary on the different working dies. Reverse: Will vary on the different working dies.

Submitted By: Jim Lafferty

Cross References: CONECA: Various

Comments: Despite the fact that the doubling is from a doubled working hub, the strength of the doubling still makes it a desirable variety for doubled die collectors and thus the "Best Of" label. CONECA has not yet branded it as a doubled working hub and lists the various dies that were affected as unique varieties all with their own working die number based on the working die markers. CONECA has identified at least 15 working dies displaying the working hub doubling.

Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
Pillar of the Community
United States
2773 Posts
 Posted 02/22/2020  3:35 pm  Show Profile   Check Tanman2001's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Tanman2001 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Wrong thread Coop.

A die clash occurs when two dies make heavy contact with each other, which will transfer parts of the design to the other die. This typically happens when there was no planchet fed into the striking chamber but the dies were pressed together anyway.

More info here:
http://www.error-ref.com/die_clash/
http://www.maddieclashes.com/

Maddieclashes lists a few Washington quarters with very similar clashes on other dates.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
8063 Posts
 Posted 02/22/2020  7:10 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JimmyD to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Davere-
It is best to keep questions on the same coin under one posting. This is the third post on this quarter.
It just causes confusion when trying to reference it.
United States
22 Posts
 Posted 02/22/2020  7:44 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Davere to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm sorry. This is the second topic that I used these photos in. I posted this 1967 Washington quarter in the grading forum yesterday. This topic is not about this coin in particular. I assumed that questions regarding error varieties not specific to any one coin were to be posted here. Forgive my ignorance. Thank you Tanman2001. Your info. led to most of my questions regarding this variety being answered. I'm certain I Have this quarter: http://www.maddieclashes.com/cclti-25c-1967-01/ I also believe its a type II. It would explain the final problem about this coin. Why the arrow feathers have a totally different appearance. What should I do with it? Its nearly in MS condition. It may well be an UNC. Thanks everyone. You all are awesome.
Edited by Davere
02/23/2020 01:19 am
Pillar of the Community
United States
587 Posts
 Posted 02/27/2020  4:47 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Groszy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Higher resolution photos would be required to make an accurate attribution of the coin.

Quote:
Its nearly in MS condition. It may well be an UNC.

There's no such thing as an Uncirculated coin that isn't MS. MS means "Mint State" and "Uncirculated" is an adjectival term for a Mint State coin.

Quote:
What should I do with it?

That's completely up to you. As a general rule, if the coin isn't worth around $150 minimum, it won't offset the cost to get it graded. You're more than welcome to have it graded, however. What to do with it is more a question of "what do you want to do with it?" Do you want to keep it, or sell it? If it's the former, put it in a nice 2x2 and write down its attribution and keep it. If it's the latter, then either slab it, or try to sell it, with attribution and higher resolution photos. --Trust me, higher resolution photos are your friend with coins.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
43265 Posts
 Posted 02/28/2020  8:43 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Sorry about the confusion:
On the spitting eagle quarter, it is just a die clash. People go gaga over these, but that is all it is:

Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.67 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05