Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1928-S LWC, Looks Like S Over S, And Another Weak S To The Right, And Odd 8

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
203 Posts
 Posted 02/22/2020  10:04 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Snoopydoo to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I wish my camera could capture what's clearly in my microscope screen.
Please help.

To me it looks like a RPM on the main S, then to the right, is what appears to be a faint full S mint mark again.

I'm attaching some pics that I drew an outline around what I'm seeing, then pictures without the outlines just arrows.

The 8 also has a weird shape to its bottom right, die break?

Or am I back to seeing things again?
Your help is always appreciated!

Pillar of the Community
United States
3592 Posts
 Posted 02/22/2020  10:06 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CoinHunter27 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looks like Die Deterioration to me. Keep hunting!

-CH27
"Time is the coin of life. Only you can determine how it will be spent" -Carl Sandburg
A few notable finds:
1857 FEC DDO S-4 FS-101:
http://goccf.com/t/368150
1888-O $1 Hot Lips VAM-4:
http://goccf.com/t/363580

Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
46142 Posts
 Posted 02/22/2020  10:36 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looks like DDD to me as well.
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
203 Posts
 Posted 02/22/2020  11:07 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Snoopydoo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you, so Die Deterioration Doubling on what I thought was an RPM.
But what about the full faint S MM to the right of the main MM?
Does anyone besides me see the extra full S?
Learn More...
United States
15421 Posts
 Posted 02/23/2020  12:00 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@SD, yes I definitely see what you are talking about and agree that it looks a whole lot like a letter S. However, as you may know RPMs are almost always much more subtle than that--with much less separation between the letters. Furthermore, I don't see anything so dramatic listed on varietyvista:

http://www.varietyvista.com/02a%20L...%201928S.htm

Other than DDD and the randomness of circulation wear, I don't have a better explanation.

Added: I just noticed that you are a "big supporter" of CCF and wanted to specifically thank you for that. Well done for someone who doesn't have a whole ton of posts here.
"If you climb a good tree, you get a push."
-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz

United States
16 Posts
 Posted 03/13/2020  3:16 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add rotten tooten 55 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
snoopydoo I'm new here to first thing I saw was your 1928 s .I see that it is a Die Deterioration fooled me I have one that looks exactly like yours I also thought it was a small over large
Learn More...
United States
84130 Posts
United States
16 Posts
 Posted 03/13/2020  5:12 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add rotten tooten 55 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
thank you jbuck having tough time figuring out how to use sight listed a post about a 1943 penny and up loaded pictures cant find either of them should have paid more attention to where I was posting ill learn tks for the welcome
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
43240 Posts
 Posted 03/13/2020  5:27 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The die wear is causing the date to move towards the rim. The mintmark is normal. (not like the drawing on your coin) The reverse die is also showing extreme die wear. A lot of mileage has happened on that die before your coin was struck. (EPU)
Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
Edited by coop
03/13/2020 5:29 pm
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.67 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05