Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1981 D Lincoln Cent With Mitted Edge

Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 16 / Views: 803Next Topic
Page: of 2
Valued Member
United States
146 Posts
 Posted 02/23/2020  4:59 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Lincoln8989 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Please help me identify whether this coin is real or counterfeit. I appreciate any help possible, thanks.
Learn More...
United States
16430 Posts
 Posted 02/23/2020  5:29 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@L8989, first welcome to CCF. Second, although it would boggle my mind that someone would bother counterfeiting a 1981 D cent, we are gonna need some pics to confirm.
"If you climb a good tree, you get a push."
-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz

Valued Member
United States
146 Posts
 Posted 02/23/2020  5:34 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Lincoln8989 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Here are the photos

Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
48991 Posts
 Posted 02/23/2020  5:36 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looks deliberately altered to deceive.

to the CCF!
Valued Member
United States
146 Posts
 Posted 02/23/2020  5:41 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Lincoln8989 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm so sad, thanks
Valued Member
United States
146 Posts
 Posted 02/23/2020  5:45 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Lincoln8989 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I've kept this coin for over 10 years and it's just an altered coin
Learn More...
United States
16430 Posts
 Posted 02/23/2020  8:10 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Do you have a weight on it? Let's just confirm that it is within mint specifications before you spend it.
"If you climb a good tree, you get a push."
-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz

Pillar of the Community
United States
3288 Posts
 Posted 02/23/2020  10:01 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Greasy Fingers to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
, at least you didn't "break the bank" by holding onto it for 10 years..
Valued Member
United States
146 Posts
 Posted 02/23/2020  10:18 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Lincoln8989 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It weighs 3.1 gram
Learn More...
United States
87921 Posts
Valued Member
United States
146 Posts
 Posted 02/24/2020  12:22 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Lincoln8989 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks, happy to be here.
I posted the penny weight, it's 3.1 g
If you guys find anything else please share your thoughts
Valued Member
United States
100 Posts
 Posted 02/24/2020  1:11 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coin rejector to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@Lincoln8989, fake or not.... the coolness factor alone I'd keep it in my collection. Any reputable coin dealers in your area you can take it to, to get their opinion?
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
45251 Posts
 Posted 02/24/2020  1:28 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If the lines are angled on the edge of the coin, you could take a metal file and press down on the edge of a coin with the file on a hard surface such as an anvil. The roll the coin 360 degrees while holding down the file as hard as possible. This will leave angled lines on the edge of the cent.
If you have a file that has straight marks on the file, then they could look more like the real deal. But the biggest difference will be the depth of the reeds. Note on coins the reeds are very deep. (Cents do not have reeds) Just the Silver coins years ago had reeds on them. Why?

I'd always heard the story about the blind. But now appreciate the real reason.
Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
Edited by coop
02/24/2020 7:05 pm
Valued Member
United States
146 Posts
 Posted 02/24/2020  6:52 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Lincoln8989 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for the info, I will keep that in mind
Valued Member
United States
146 Posts
 Posted 02/24/2020  7:05 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Lincoln8989 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Coin shop guy told me that this 1992 penny is fake. Got this coin out of bank roll few days ago, what are thoughts

Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
45251 Posts
 Posted 02/24/2020  7:16 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Well the rotation should be on all devices on both sides in order for it to be real. There are double struck coins, but they would look like this when they rotate a little between strikes:

CoopHome : Double Struck Coins Frank B
Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
Edited by coop
02/24/2020 7:19 pm
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 16 / Views: 803Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.7 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05