Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1909 VDB LWC Gradable ? Thoughts Please

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Valued Member

United States
86 Posts
 Posted 02/27/2020  6:35 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add themaineway to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hope the pics are good enough
Dont know much about grading so I thought I would ask if this would grade...
The rim issue may be a struck through error just havent looked at closer
Thank you

Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
46024 Posts
 Posted 02/27/2020  7:09 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'd say 64RD from what I can see. Is the rim issue raised or indented? Can you give us a close-up?
Edited by Coinfrog
02/27/2020 7:13 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
9274 Posts
 Posted 02/27/2020  7:09 pm  Show Profile   Check BH1964's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add BH1964 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looks like a nice piece. The obverse rim might be a strikethrough. The color is brilliant red, the strike solid and the luster strong. There are numerous small contacts marks and abrasions so I'll go MS64RD.
ANA #R3154474
Pillar of the Community
Canada
4954 Posts
 Posted 02/27/2020  7:15 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mcshilling to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looks good MS64
Valued Member
United States
86 Posts
 Posted 02/27/2020  7:48 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add themaineway to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you all...seems to be at a 64 rd so far.
Coinfrog no close up at this time. indented but doesn't seem to show any push lines....
The main reason I was looking for an approx grade is, I was thinking about sending it off for a grading and have never done that but because this one is also a stage B (seeing the upper half of the post of the b is broken yet no clash in front of neck which is a stage c)so must be a stage b (no pictures of that stage in vv) - fs 1102 ddo-002 thought it might be worth it...?
Bedrock of the Community
United States
16332 Posts
 Posted 02/27/2020  8:03 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add BadThad to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looks 63/64RD to me too, not worth slabbing. Lots of field abrasions/distractions and a couple of hard hits to the temple area and the left wheat stalk lines. Leaning toward 63, it's mostly about how it looks in hand, the pictures are fine, but have limited info. I don't see the DDO, looks normal to me.

The rim anomaly - thought it was a lamination at first. LOL The part that bothers me is that nothing carried over to the devices on either side. I would expect debris stuck in there to also influence the field on at least one side. I believe it's a hit.

The die broken at the B in LIBERTY is a normal occurrence and adds no value to most collectors.
Lincoln Cent Lover!
Valued Member
United States
86 Posts
 Posted 02/27/2020  8:46 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add themaineway to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you badthad
Yes broken posts are very common on alot of years, and I appreciate your input and I could be wrong but am quite confident its 002 as there is a clear seperation line on the 9 and note the shape of the 0 from about 3 to 7. I have no way at this time to show you close ups of these tonight
just dont know much about grade-slabbing if the struck through/dent (yet to be determined) would disqualify or greatly reduce the grading and if it was worth it etc....
Pillar of the Community
United States
6661 Posts
 Posted 02/27/2020  9:00 pm  Show Profile   Check GrapeCollects's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add GrapeCollects to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
MS-64RD or Unc. Details Rim Damage
My best finds: 1999-WAM:http://goccf.com/t/332161 1988-RDV-6:http://goccf.com/t/335954#2873459 1986-Off-center: http://goccf.com/t/335952
1999 WAM #2:http://goccf.com/t/338710&whichpage=1
1981 Double Struck In Collar: http://goccf.com/t/350199&whichpage=1
ANA id: 3194067
My Type Set: http://goccf.com/t/359443&whichpage=1
If you want to buy something or sell something or just talk, shoot me a PM!
Valued Member
United States
485 Posts
 Posted 02/27/2020  9:14 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ijn1944 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Solid MS64. Nice coin.
Pillar of the Community
United States
6211 Posts
 Posted 02/27/2020  9:18 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Earle42 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I was thinking about sending it off for a grading and have never done that

Some advice...ask yourself why you want to send it off to get graded.

A coin that would not bring in 150.00 when sold is not worth the fees etc. to get graded.

If you want to get it slabbed just for the experience, or if you just like slabbed coins, then no problem.

But realize the reality of slabbing. A coin can be sent in, slabbed with a certain grade (let's say MS64), you then break it out and resubmit it (even to the same company), and you are never guaranteed it will have the same MS64 grade again.

Add to al of this that of the main companies that are commonly cited as being the best, they all have different standards for grading the same coin. There is no ONE authority. And all of them up front will tell you their systems are subjective, ie they are not assigning a grade based upon anything that is scientifically verifiable.

In other words slabbing is not about the actual coin alone, its about what the label says the coin is. This forum is noted for saying people need to buy the coin and NOT the slab.

If you want to enjoy slabbed coins in the hobby, then make sure you know the facts before you pad the grading companys' pockets with your hard earned cash. It can be a a fun way to enjoy coins+slabs+labels vs. just collecting coins. But jumping grading and putting a blind faith in these companies can make for many regrets when you find the facts.

There are people who have absolute faith in the companies and would almost fight to the death against anyone saying the slightest negative comment against grading companies. But there is too much proof that, alas, the companies are not THE absolute authority on coins (they cannot even agree with each others' "expert" grades).

But rather than just words - here is some good reading/education of compiled info from the forum that illustrate the facts:

First some words of wisdom from a former member we all miss:
http://goccf.com/t/130186

And here are some not-so-hard-to-find examples/pics/notes comparing the actual product with claims:
http://goccf.com/t/346174#2967242

Start looking for yourself and you see its not hard to find things like this.

If you like slabs and enjoy them as a part of your hobby, then just be educated about it. Buy the coin, not the slab.

- When I value " being right" more than what IS right, I am then right...a fool.
- How much squash could a Sasquatch squash if a Sasquatch would squash squash?
- Prosp long and liver.
Valued Member
United States
86 Posts
 Posted 02/27/2020  9:39 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add themaineway to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks Earle42 well put I agree buy the coin 3rd party grading is rather subjective to that persons view on that day.
its more that it is a ddo-002 which should increase the value -so to say- buy the labeling of such on the slab which also authenticates it to others.....i know its a ddo-002 just proving it to others for a fmv without a slab stating so can be difficult sometimes (so if the slabbing cost can increase the ease of getting a better fmv)
Another reason I consider a slab would be for conservation reasons?
I have never sent off any coins to 3rd party slabbers but can think of a few I would consider sending off after getting input from here on grading etc the people here give fair comments for me to make a decision from.
Thank you to all !
Pillar of the Community
United States
8374 Posts
 Posted 02/28/2020  12:14 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add panzaldi to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
MS64RD
Bedrock of the Community
United States
16332 Posts
 Posted 02/28/2020  7:46 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add BadThad to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Earle offers sage advice, I agree 100%.

Generally, if you want slabbed coins, you should buy them slabbed. The submission game is one that is usually only beneficial to the TPG in the form of revenue....especially so with novice collectors.

Have a look for yourself, I know the owner of this website, he attends our local shows and usually has hundreds of slabbed coins that make you scratch your head. Like a 1974 Lincoln cent graded EF-45 for example.

http://cheapslabs.com/cart/index.php
Lincoln Cent Lover!
Valued Member
United States
86 Posts
 Posted 02/29/2020  07:12 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add themaineway to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you again Badthad for your input. I appreciated that you told me in detail why you graded this coin such, as I have little experience in TPG's
Thanks for the link, I have only bought maybe 6 slabbed coin....just because I wanted to see the difference in the grading...and dont think I have paid more than 3-4 bucks/pc. and probably never will :)
I agree that slabbing in general is not worth the cost.
in my opinion "the grade" can be subjective to how many drinks the graders-persons had the night before or if they got enough sleep to be able to see out of both eyes straight, maybe just disgruntled? I dont know but too subjective for me to pay that kind of money in general for a subjective answer.
I also have coins that if were slabbed (100.00+ for slab and label) now the coin has been delisted debunked as an error-variety coin and considered worthless now ? but the "paid for" slab says it is an error-variety, but the experts who the TPG's get their info from to list on slab, NOW say it isn't.......LOL
BUT in a case like this... slabbing may increase what could be gotten for this coin at a sale...? I estimate its about what 100.00 ?+- to slab an error which if this would grade ms63-65 (back to the subjectiveness) bv would be what about 200-400 and that would be still in the ballpark of making a few bucks for me with a supposablely easier sale being slabbed........ So I will have to weigh my options, probably put it up for sale unslabbed while I mull it over.
Once again than you for your guidance on grading and slabbing....Have a great day
Bedrock of the Community
United States
19374 Posts
 Posted 03/06/2020  12:48 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add IndianGoldEagle to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
MS-63RD at best. Large gash in Lincoln's hair, scrape in reverse field.
Bedrock of the Community
Canada
10724 Posts
 Posted 03/09/2020  3:45 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SHAFTA9a to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
MS64R/B
True North
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.87 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05