Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Ancient Alexander Coin

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

United Kingdom
6 Posts
 Posted 02/28/2020  12:13 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add westarek to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Genuine or fake?

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
5838 Posts
 Posted 02/28/2020  2:40 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Finn235 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Tentatively I'd say genuine. These posthumous drachms were the coin of the land for over a century after Alex kicked the bucket - the tetradrachms and lifetime issues are heavily faked, but not so much with these.
My Collections:
Roman Imperial
http://goccf.com/t/348979
Japan Type set Tokugawa + Modern
http://goccf.com/t/348999
Indo Sassanian
http://goccf.com/t/322087
Learn More...
United States
22909 Posts
 Posted 02/28/2020  3:00 pm  Show Profile   Check echizento's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add echizento to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm on the fence with this one, most likely genuine but I don't like the looks of the bust. Alexander looks like he has been punched in the face and the eagle on the reverse doesn't look right.
Pillar of the Community
United States
4812 Posts
 Posted 02/28/2020  3:33 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bob L to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Here it is compared to another Kolophon issue from the same dies. The bead pattern on Zeus' staff and the cross bar of his throne confirm the reverse match. My first thought, given the similarly shaped flans, was that they might both be casts. But there may be enough subtle differences to suggest both are struck.

The lower coin is here: https://www.acsearch.info/search.html?id=6009738
Edited by Bob L
02/28/2020 3:35 pm
Learn More...
United States
15500 Posts
 Posted 02/28/2020  5:54 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Would an edge view help at all?
"If you climb a good tree, you get a push."
-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz

Bedrock of the Community
Australia
16672 Posts
 Posted 02/28/2020  7:50 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
To get a better idea if both are genuine, or both are cast,
perhaps an XRF test may be appropriate.
Look for the trace metal mix in the analysis.

Thanks to Bob L's investigations,
at this stage, I am leaning towards both pressure cast, due to the similarity of the flans.
Pillar of the Community
United States
900 Posts
 Posted 02/28/2020  11:57 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Kushanshah to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
At least one of these coins is fake. Both flans have virtually the same shape. Both coins are slightly off-center in the same direction on both sides. Note the letter K on the second coin. The same portion of the letter is missing as the off-flan portion on the first coin but it is clear of the edge! The acsearch coin is 100% fake. The op coin is almost certainly fake but there is a small possibility that it is the host from which the second coin was made.
Edited by Kushanshah
02/29/2020 12:19 am
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.56 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05