Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

July 20 1969 Moon Lander Penny

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 15 / Views: 806Next Topic  

United States
3 Posts
 Posted 03/20/2020  9:15 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Jibson to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hello I found a couple strange pennies in my Grandfathers coins one of them a 1969 penny that has a stamp of the moon lander moon and the earth in the background and I cannot find any information on it I have found immages though but no information I tried to upload immage but my laptop is kind of a piece.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
15018 Posts
 Posted 03/20/2020  9:23 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dorado to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1980 Posts
 Posted 03/20/2020  9:24 pm  Show Profile   Check Yokozuna's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Yokozuna to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
to the CCF!

It sounds like you have a counter stamped cent. The date of 1969 was used to commemorate the Moon landings. It just a novelty coin. It wasn't done by the US Mint.

"Shine, shine, a Roosevelt dime
All the way to Baltimore and running out of time" - Tom Waits 'Clap Hands'

Pillar of the Community
United States
3399 Posts
 Posted 03/20/2020  9:30 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add matthewvincent to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It is most likely a counterstamp.

A stamp or impression placed on a coin after it has left the Mint of origin. Counterstamps were frequently used as advertising gimmicks on large cents and other coins. The counterstamp leaves a permanent impression on the metal and may hurt the value of the coin. It may also help the value, as in the case of an Ephriam Brasher counterstamp.

Pennies were often stamped with images, There was a set of 50 with each state stamped on a penny.
They do not have much commercial value. Sentimental value, sure!
Brother, can you spare a "BARBER" dime?
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
47763 Posts
 Posted 03/20/2020  10:36 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Pics please!

to the CCF!
Pillar of the Community
Canada
3424 Posts
 Posted 03/21/2020  07:42 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add oriole to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
One of our members here has a huge collection of counterstamped 1 cent coins. they are definitely worth more than face value to a collector of such things. I have a small collection that I add to when I can but would not pay more than 25 cents.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3728 Posts
 Posted 03/21/2020  08:41 am  Show Profile   Check chafemasterj's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add chafemasterj to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I think this is an example of the counterstamped LMC for Apollo 11 you have:

Check out my counterstamped Lincoln Cent collection:
http://goccf.com/t/303507
Valued Member
United States
276 Posts
 Posted 03/21/2020  09:04 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add fplagge to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
As others are saying, not much value - but it would be a cool coin to have and show off to other people. I did not know it existed until you posted your message. Thanks, and welcome to the forum.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1818 Posts
 Posted 03/21/2020  09:04 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add hfjacinto to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The Apollo 11 is cool, where can you get one?
Bedrock of the Community
United States
16502 Posts
 Posted 03/23/2020  2:21 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Conder101 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
They actually exist for all of the Apollo Moon missions.
Gary Schmidt
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3728 Posts
 Posted 03/23/2020  2:48 pm  Show Profile   Check chafemasterj's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add chafemasterj to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Correct Conder. There is a 7 cent set. Apollo 11 to 17.

I believe they are posted on page 2 of this link:
Check out my counterstamped Lincoln Cent collection:
Edited by chafemasterj
03/23/2020 2:50 pm
Learn More...
United States
86044 Posts
 Posted 03/23/2020  4:37 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
to the Community!

Your post was moved to the appropriate forum for the proper attention.
Forum Dad
Learn More...
United States
20485 Posts
 Posted 03/23/2020  4:51 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add bobby131313 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Some more examples...

United States
3 Posts
 Posted 03/25/2020  10:07 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Jibson to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hello yes the 1969 penny image with the lander is the same one that I have you are also correct about it having done damage to the coin where the eath is on the reverse I can see the stamp in the letters on the border I have a couple other curiosities I have a 1945 with an error in the date and it doesn't look like it happened by a penny roller machine the 9 is different it almost looks like a double but only on the 9 here is the crazy part I found a 1945 penny on line going for like 10,000 which is crazy but it appears that the 9 is the same as mine but from different mints mine is from philly hers is from S.f. whats the chance of that ill try to upload a pic this is dragging on a little so thanks for the info on the lander penny
Valued Member
United States
455 Posts
 Posted 03/25/2020  5:05 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add lcutler to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Don't put too much stock in prices you see online. There are sites, Etsy comes to mind, where coins worth face value are advertised for ridiculous amounts. These coins will never sell at these prices but are advertised. Hope you can get some pictures up, we'd be glad to take a look!
Valued Member
United States
315 Posts
 Posted 03/29/2020  11:51 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add PlumCrazy814 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I may have posted a similar comment before about the Moon landing counter stamped coins but I never tire of relating the thrill of a travelling bus or other vehicle coming to town when I was young. I don't really remember the actual vehicle or year but I remember it being parked in front of the State Capital building. There was an actual moon rock to see. I have a first day cover if the 10 cent stamp and a counterstamped penny and my memory says I got the cover from that "show" but not sure about the penny. I'm betting Grandpa valued your penny far more than what you could sell it for.
  Previous TopicReplies: 15 / Views: 806Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.67 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05