Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

A Beautiful Constantius II Gloria Exercitvs

Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 16 / Views: 861Next Topic
Page: of 2
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2448 Posts
 Posted 03/21/2020  11:56 pm Show Profile   Check Paul Bulgerin's eBay Listings Bookmark this topic Add Paul Bulgerin to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I won this coin tonight. I paid way too much for it, but it is so lovely that I thought it was worth the price.

The GLORIA EXERCITVS series is one of my favorite Roman type coins. This is an exceptionally beautiful example, at least to me.

Paul Bulgerin
Pillar of the Community
United States
4906 Posts
 Posted 03/22/2020  12:32 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bob L to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
A beauty. Congrats on the win.
Bedrock of the Community
Australia
16973 Posts
 Posted 03/22/2020  12:47 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Design detail all there.
Lovely contrasting patina.

If you think you paid too much for it, not a bother in the future. You will sooner or later forget about that, and just appreciate it.
Learn More...
United States
22981 Posts
 Posted 03/22/2020  06:07 am  Show Profile   Check echizento's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add echizento to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Excellent detail and patina.
Learn More...
United States
16013 Posts
 Posted 03/22/2020  06:31 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Super remaining detail--great pick-up!
"If you climb a good tree, you get a push."
-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz

Pillar of the Community
United States
3146 Posts
 Posted 03/22/2020  08:43 am  Show Profile   Check FVRIVS RVFVS's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add FVRIVS RVFVS to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
For the right price I would "bite" on this one
After all Bronze is beautiful
Coming from the 'East' it is nice to see the "desert patina" which looks quite genuine
But personally I would want to see a bit less of it
I know that is sacrilege to many
But looking to all the world like a near mint state example
Well ........ I would like to see more of its "mintyness" !
IN GOD WE TRVST ....... all others pay cash !

COGITO ERGO SPVD
I think ...... therefore I yam
Pillar of the Community
United States
669 Posts
 Posted 03/22/2020  09:36 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add travelcoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Very nice pick up with great detail. I am not a fan of desert patina probably because it is commonly"faked" and I still have a hard time determining the difference. But this is an attractive coin.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Spain
1830 Posts
 Posted 03/22/2020  10:53 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Palouche to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yep wonderful looking coin ....Looks to have quite high relief and detail on both sides..

Ref Sand patinas....I've had my fair share of this type patina..
Here's 3 coins in from my collection...
1.I'm sure the sand patina is real.
2.I'm NOT sure but haven't tried to clean it yet.
3.10 seconds in distilled water....From the infamous 'Z' before BobL's 'Too much yellow' thread.
And I know which result I prefer...
Pillar of the Community
United States
3146 Posts
 Posted 03/22/2020  2:00 pm  Show Profile   Check FVRIVS RVFVS's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add FVRIVS RVFVS to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I think the "patina" in this case is genuine
The fake patinas I have encountered were used to hide a rough unsightly surface beneath
Fill in the holes with mud plaster !

One of my first cleaning successes involved a not too dissimilar looking subject

I was very surprised by how less than one day in distilled (plus some brass brush) removed about 90% !
It did arouse some suspicions in the dark corners of my brain
But what sort of lunatic would apply fake patina to a "gem"
I am satisfied the coin is genuine
Therefore the patina must have been too

COGITO ERGO SPVD
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
696 Posts
 Posted 03/22/2020  5:29 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tenbobbit to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The patina does look false to me but, I am no expert.
Underneath the patina the coin appears in excellent condition but, it is Constantine ii not Constantius ii.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2448 Posts
 Posted 03/22/2020  6:10 pm  Show Profile   Check Paul Bulgerin's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Paul Bulgerin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
You're right. It is Constantine II.
Paul Bulgerin
Pillar of the Community
United States
3146 Posts
 Posted 03/22/2020  9:10 pm  Show Profile   Check FVRIVS RVFVS's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add FVRIVS RVFVS to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
How easily distracted we become when face to face with "beauty" !
Something is a plain as the very writing on it but we can still deceive ourselves

COGITO ERGO SPVD
Portugal
15 Posts
 Posted 03/23/2020  7:43 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add pcabrita to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Paul, well done! What a beautiful coin!
Valued Member
United Kingdom
231 Posts
 Posted 03/24/2020  11:37 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Novicius to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I have a few "desert patina" coins, but can't say that I am a great fan of them. Looking at the cleaned coins belonging to @Palouche and @FVRIVS RVFVS, I am tempted to have a go at cleaning one of mine. The detail revealed after cleaning is amazing, and the coins look so much better.

Jim
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2448 Posts
 Posted 04/13/2020  12:03 pm  Show Profile   Check Paul Bulgerin's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Paul Bulgerin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Here is my photo of the coin. It has a very reddish sand patina.

Paul Bulgerin
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Spain
1830 Posts
 Posted 04/13/2020  12:33 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Palouche to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@Paul Bulgerin......What a difference a photo can make.

This is a nice looking coin, well centred and lovely detail...

Do you plan on cleaning it?.....Whichever way you go it's a real cracker!
Congrats Paul
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 16 / Views: 861Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.77 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05