Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Is This 1919-H UK Penny Unc?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 11 / Views: 734Next Topic  
Valued Member

United States
61 Posts
 Posted 03/22/2020  06:33 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add goterps04 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Starting to get better at recognizing coin grades. What would you grade this oversized penny? I see a large price disparity between uncirculated and circulated.

Which photos are more useful, with or without iPjone flash?

Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
6788 Posts
 Posted 03/22/2020  07:07 am  Show Profile   Check NumisRob's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add NumisRob to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'd grade it as a British VG / Near Fine. Unusually for an early George V British penny, the reverse is better than the obverse.

An uncirculated penny would have much better definition on the portrait, clear outline of the moustache and beard, many more hairlines and the edges of the shield, helmet and waves on the reverse would be much sharper.

Nevertheless, a 1919-H is a semi-key date and well worth keeping in this condition.

I haven't got a photo of an uncirculated penny, but the sovereign photo below shows you what the portrait should look like:
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
48019 Posts
 Posted 03/22/2020  10:47 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Agree VG, second set of pics by far the best.
Bedrock of the Community
Canada
15208 Posts
 Posted 03/22/2020  5:25 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dorado to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Which photos are more useful, with or without iPjone flash?

Without flash

Valued Member
United States
61 Posts
 Posted 03/23/2020  7:31 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add goterps04 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks, yes the portrait is really lacking. I'm surprised the no-flash photo is preferred, because the flash seems to show a lot more detailed lines to me like in the shield. I'm going to buy one of those USB microscopes to take zoomed photos, so I assume that should help. Anyone have a recommendation?
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
New Zealand
768 Posts
 Posted 03/29/2020  08:59 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Princetane to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
VG?

That coin is gFine at least, the Obverse is close to VF - sharp lines on the shield

Here is what an EF - gEF penny looks like - I don't have an UNC one - but imagine the lustre is brighter still and the light wear is gone I guess. Here you see wear on her face and intersection with helmet, the elbow and forearm and her robe and knee joints also have some light flattening due to the high relief of these areas.

With Victoria, the wear is most obvious on her veil (But I guess the OP has GV coin - so who cares about her).

For GeorgeV, again I have EF coins galore but no UNC ones - My guess no wear on cheek, eyebrows, moustache and beard must be sharp with no wear and hair has no wear and sharp relief.

It's older than the OP's coin - but obverse is the same in this era from 1895 to 1936.
Loving Halfcrowns. British and Commonwealth coins 1750 - 1950 and anything Kiwi.
If it's round, shiny and silvery I will love it.
Edited by Princetane
03/29/2020 09:03 am
Pillar of the Community
United States
1509 Posts
 Posted 03/30/2020  6:36 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add realeswatcher to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
"VG? That coin is gFine at least, the Obverse is close to VF - sharp lines on the shield"

Just to play Devil's advocate, it's been my impression that you Kiwis & Aussies have "liberalised" a bit from British grading - though not nearly as much as we Yanks have.

I chuckled when I saw this piece thinking it's a good thing he didn't post in the British subforum calling it UNC, as someone might have a stroke...

I'll say that from my passing knowledge, George V's portrait looks to present even weaker than usual compared to the reverse... I think that was what was guiding calling it British VG.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
New Zealand
768 Posts
 Posted 03/31/2020  02:49 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Princetane to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Realeswatcher - yes we have.

Okay maybe George is a bot more worn and I would drop to Fine, but these pennies of GB minted between about 1906 and 1922 had a high relief on the portrait of Edward or George (Depending on date) and the wear is always more severe on the middle of the portrait. Often flat by Fine grade, on some coins and dates, a full moustache means gVF at least and VF on the best strikes.

The Britannia side I gave a near VF too, as the individual lines of the Union Jack are sharp and there is a lot of detail on her robe and chest, also the trident is quite good and the helmet line is nearly complete.

I am not the greatest expert on grading and are probably a bit loose - but that penny is at least Fine overall.
Loving Halfcrowns. British and Commonwealth coins 1750 - 1950 and anything Kiwi.
If it's round, shiny and silvery I will love it.
Pillar of the Community
Australia
1476 Posts
 Posted 04/04/2020  02:06 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Mr T to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'd agree with gFine too - there's plenty of wear but most of the design is still there and distinguishable.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1509 Posts
 Posted 04/04/2020  7:33 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add realeswatcher to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
BTW, think that whatever the PRECISE grade you choose is... this piece is WELL beneath the level of preservation where the price starts jumping for the mintmarked Geo V pennies. I think, truthfully, that was probably the whole point of this thread.
Valued Member
Denmark
125 Posts
 Posted 04/07/2020  9:06 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Prncoins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I would grade it as fine or near fine, for sure better than vg. I am sure there are a lot of grading comparison one could find on the net, at least I know there are great UK coin grading books out there as well as American books with the same subject. I am pretty sure I have both.

However for a collector I would say, I would not collect this coin in this condition.

Stay safe!

Bedrock of the Community
United States
20176 Posts
 Posted 04/26/2020  2:00 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add IndianGoldEagle to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'd grade it F-12.
  Previous TopicReplies: 11 / Views: 734Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.57 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05