Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Commems Collection: 1900 Lafayette Dollar Revisited

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 11 / Views: 652Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4409 Posts
 Posted 03/22/2020  7:24 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add commems to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

Quote:
I've chosen to present my MS-63 Lafayette in this post as it holds a very special place in my collection. It is the first coin that I spent over $1,000 to acquire and it continues to be one of my absolute favorite coins to take out and inspect. I think it's a great looking 63, with spectacular cartwheel luster and nice, natural, original surfaces -- it simply has a great look (though my scans may not show it)! As long as I have my collection, this coin will always be part of it -- it just might be my favorite coin even though it's the lowest graded one in my set! (I'll share my higher graded coin in a separate post.)

(It came from this post of mine: 1900 Lafayette Dollar.)

The quote is from a post I wrote back in May 2012. I always meant to return to the subject and post the higher-graded Lafayette that I had purchased, but the intent slipped my mind for a time and then, when I remembered, I found that I had misplaced the coin!

Fast forward to earlier today when I came across my mislaid Lafayette dollar. I knew as soon as I found it that I would be posting it on CCF before long. After all, I kept folks waiting for nearly eight years (!), how could I knowingly delay any longer?

The coin is fully brilliant, has terrific cartwheel luster on the obverse and reverse and is free from distracting marks. I recall when I bought it that I believed it to be the nicest 64 I had encountered and that I felt it was a good match for many (most?) of the 65s I had seen in the marketplace.

Of course, my scanner does not do the coin justice, I only wish you could hold it and rotate it in your own hands to see its flash "live and in person."

So, without further adieu, here is my 1900 Lafayette dollar in PCGS MS-64. (Note: The scanner adds a bit of color to the coin that is not seen with the naked eye.)

1900 Lafayette Dollar: Obverse

1900 Lafayette Dollar: Obverse-Closeup

1900 Lafayette Dollar: Reverse

1900 Lafayette Dollar: Reverse-Closeup

The classic US commemorative market has changed quite a bit over the last eight years - this coin can be purchased for much less than I paid at the time. That fact hasn't changed the quality of the coin, however, nor the pleasure I derive from having it in my collection!

Collecting history one coin or medal at a time! (c) commems. All rights reserved.
Valued Member
Canada
379 Posts
 Posted 03/22/2020  7:47 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Numis-Northerner to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Absolutely stunning, a true high end piece.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
47936 Posts
 Posted 03/22/2020  8:23 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Another great recap from the forum historian.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
10437 Posts
 Posted 03/22/2020  9:08 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CelticKnot to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I know I have misplaced a few coins but nothing quite like this. Lovely coin, and it was a fun journey back through time to (re-?)read your original post.

So, which one do you like better?
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4409 Posts
 Posted 03/22/2020  10:38 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add commems to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
So, which one do you like better?

That's a tough one!

The MS-63 Lafayette in my original post is a great looking coin and will forever hold a special place in my collection because of the mental threshold I had to cross to make its purchase. I recall that it was not an easy decision for me to make at the time and I remember spending a good bit of time at the dealer's table as I worked through my own personal decision process.

The MS-64 posted here has an absolutely tremendous look (IMO) - I never tire of watching its cartwheel luster circle the coin as I rotate it in hand. It has such a wonderful clean look to it that I would have to be knocked out by a 65 to upgrade this one.

If I absolutely had to choose, I would select the MS-64. It has the look that my collecting eye enjoys and appreciates -- and it has it to the n-th degree. I am very happy with it!

(But I don't want to have to choose!)

Collecting history one coin or medal at a time! (c) commems. All rights reserved.
Learn More...
United States
86236 Posts
Pillar of the Community
United States
723 Posts
 Posted 03/24/2020  1:21 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Ballyhoo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Beautiful piece, nice strike for the grade. I have seen a slight rise in these lately as the market seems to be shifting in that direction once again. Well worth what you paid.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1320 Posts
 Posted 03/31/2020  01:02 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add fortcollins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Beautiful coin! Agreed, this looks better than a 64. It looks like a DuVall 1-B.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2023 Posts
 Posted 03/31/2020  03:11 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Zurie to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Beautiful example! I think if I had misplaced that coin, it would not have taken me 8 years to find it again...
Valued Member
United States
219 Posts
 Posted 04/01/2020  01:06 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add freddo30 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
General Washington would not have recognized the guy depicted the coin with him at Yorktown ; Lafayette was 24 years old. He didn't return to the U.S.A. until nearly 25 years after President Washington's demise. I'd like to have witnessed his tour of our country in 1824 ; reputedly a remarkable event.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4409 Posts
 Posted 04/09/2020  1:27 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add commems to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks to those who offered positive feedback/comments - Thanks much! Always appreciated!

Quote:
It looks like a DuVall 1-B.

I agree. It would be nice to have one of the scare varieties, but I was more concerned with overall appearance when I purchased the coin rather than its variety. In all honesty, at the time, I knew little about the diagnostics of the varieties and didn't even know which type I was purchasing!

Quote:
I think if I had misplaced that coin, it would not have taken me 8 years to find it again.

All I can say is that if you aren't looking for something, the time passes without much notice. I didn't think I had lost it, so I knew it would unexpectedly turn up someday! Patience!

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1320 Posts
 Posted 04/09/2020  8:43 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add fortcollins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
My Lafayette is a DuVall 1-B as well, but not anywhere as nice as your coin. Well struck Lafayette Dollars with clean surfaces and good eye appeal are hard to find. Yours is a beauty!
  Previous TopicReplies: 11 / Views: 652Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.87 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05