Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

A Bump On My Coin? Error Or Counterfeit?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Valued Member
292 Posts
 Posted 03/23/2020  9:28 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add JoggingLiberty to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I tested a bunch of Walking Liberty half dollars on my machine only to find one that showed an odd reading on the machine. It matches up correctly on weight, diameter, and thickness with authentic Walking Liberty halves and when I use the "ping" test it sounds identical to other walkers. Is this potentially a gas bubble error on the reverse that caused the alloyed metal to get a little "weird" causing it to read funny on the machine? Thoughts? Thank you!

Valued Member
United States
125 Posts
 Posted 03/23/2020  9:45 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add river4449 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Did you test your machine against every other coin? I wouldn't imagine something that minor throwing off a machine like that , especially since individual coins can vary in weight in the same series based on wear what whatnot.

Jasper
regards, Jasper- "river4449"
Canada 5 cent silver collector.
PMs are open, whether you have a question or simply wish to talk.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2043 Posts
 Posted 03/23/2020  9:45 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add merclover to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Not 100% sure what your question really is, but it sounds like the issue is with your machine, not the coin.
Valued Member
292 Posts
 Posted 03/23/2020  10:45 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JoggingLiberty to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I tested over 200 coins that got perfect reading suggesting they are indeed 90% silver. This is the only coin that was off slightly on the reading and it also contains a strange and small bump on the right side of the reverse.
Valued Member
United States
438 Posts
 Posted 03/24/2020  05:18 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add durkastani to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I guess I'm not understanding what the machine is SUPPOSED to show. It's saying 90% silver, US, pre-1945 all of which accurately describe that coin...
Valued Member
United Kingdom
121 Posts
 Posted 03/24/2020  05:23 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mcstone to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Try soaking the coin in acetone and measuring again, looks like you may have some crud on the coin throwing off the reading. Weird bump tho, but wouldn't think anyone would counterfeit this coin, isn't its potential value too low?
Valued Member
292 Posts
 Posted 03/24/2020  07:49 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JoggingLiberty to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The machine tests if the metal is 90% silver alloyed or not. The machine is suggesting that it is NOT alloyed at the typical range acceptable of 90% silver coinage from that era.

People have counterfeited 1965 Washington quarters... I'll say it again... 1965 Washington quarters :) NEVER assume that a coin is real based only on the coins's value.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1879 Posts
 Posted 03/24/2020  07:58 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add nfine to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Is the blue rectangle outside the brackets the indicator that the metal is outside the acceptable range?
Edited by nfine
03/24/2020 07:59 am
Valued Member
292 Posts
 Posted 03/24/2020  4:27 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JoggingLiberty to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yes that's what it means. It being so close to the line is generally a sign of it being a little off.
Pillar of the Community
United States
7189 Posts
 Posted 03/24/2020  5:20 pm  Show Profile   Check westcoin's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add westcoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The coin looks okay, hard to say positively from the small photos, but I'd guess what you are seeing is a small occluded gas bubble in the planchet. Worth a small premium to an error collector, but as a planchet error, as opposed to a striking error, it doesn't have the appeal or added value. Maybe an extra few dollars to the right collector.
"Buy the Book Before You Buy the Coin" - Aaron R. Feldman - "And read it" - Me 2013!
ANA Life Member #3288 in good standing since 1982, EAC Member #6202, NBS Member, 2 variety collector.

See my want page: http://goccf.com/t/140440
Valued Member
United Kingdom
121 Posts
 Posted 03/25/2020  03:25 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mcstone to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Just saw your video, I had no idea you could get gas bubbles on non-plated coins! Perhaps the gas bubble and the fact that the readings change depending on where the sensor is focused on the coin are symptoms of improper metal mixing?

Interesting to think about, thanks for the knowledge guys!
Pillar of the Community
United States
1417 Posts
 Posted 03/26/2020  9:34 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add realeswatcher to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Your pics are not good... but that piece has a curious look to it.

Contemporary counterfeit Walkers DO exist.
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.51 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05