Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

2006 Westward Journey Nickels Return To Monticello?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Valued Member
United States
319 Posts
 Posted 03/23/2020  10:33 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Curveball to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
My question my be stupid who cares I noticed from 2004 to 2006 the nickels are considered Westward Journey Series. I indeed understand why the 2004 and 2005 are called that because of the reverse but the 2006 is normal I know its called The Return to Monticello does that make them more collectable? Help me out here a pic of them for a mint roll I've come across it clearly say Westward Series but the reverse is just regular

*** Moved by Staff to a more appropriate forum. ***
Edited by Curveball
03/23/2020 10:39 pm
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
8611 Posts
 Posted 03/23/2020  10:58 pm  Show Profile   Check TNG's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add TNG to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It's the first year of the present design.
I wish it were the last too, but to me, that's all that's significant about it.
They sold em tho, as if they were just as important as the other 4 in 2004 and 2005.
(I only like the Bison)
I wish they would have made that a one year coin as well and went back to the design of 1938 on the obverse.
My favorite album!
Image hosting is provided by CCF. Thank you for your generosity!
World's Fair Exposition Medals and Tickets
http://www.coincommunity.org/galler...p?album=2020
Valued Member
United States
319 Posts
 Posted 03/23/2020  11:09 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Curveball to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I understand I hate the Lincoln Shelid cent with a passion. It ruined Penny's for me it just looks cheap and I hope
get rid of them all together or change the reverse they are pitiful. Here's a old 1938 obverse
Bedrock of the Community
United States
19172 Posts
 Posted 03/24/2020  08:59 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add just carl to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
So many hate almost all Nickels except the Indian/Bison ones. It is apparent the US Mint hates them too since they constantly make Nickels to irritate people.
just carl
Pillar of the Community
United States
664 Posts
 Posted 03/24/2020  12:55 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Ballyhoo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
For me, I suppose it's a love hate relationship. Loved collecting them in the late seventies, lost interest in the eighties then loved them again in the mid-2000's. I find myself hoarding the near mint states and don't know why.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3517 Posts
 Posted 03/24/2020  1:23 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add smokeriderdon to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I had no problem with nickels until this new awful obverse. If they wanted to use a new one, the 2005 was much better. I continue to collect them, but only in MS and pretty much just to fill albums.
Pillar of the Community
United States
502 Posts
 Posted 03/24/2020  1:41 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ijn1944 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nickels. Love 'em, hate 'em.

I'm partial to the 2005 'Western Waters' design--especially the reverse. I hold on to every BU example I come across, and proofs too. Have a nice stash of them.
Learn More...
United States
84130 Posts
 Posted 03/24/2020  2:55 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I do not hate the new design and I welcomed the change. It allowed me to say that my 1938-2003 Jefferson nickel collection is complete.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3517 Posts
 Posted 03/24/2020  3:16 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add smokeriderdon to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I dont HATE the new design. Its just the ugliest of the circulation coins IMO.
Valued Member
United States
216 Posts
 Posted 03/25/2020  3:41 pm  Show Profile   Check BrandaBob's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add BrandaBob to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Low key every single circulating design would look much more appealing if they just made the relief higher, I wish they'd consider doing that for all the numismatic products like mint and proof sets.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
3300 Posts
 Posted 03/25/2020  3:51 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add oriole to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Funny-as a Canadian I do not understand why so many hate the new 5 cent coin. I rather like them.
Learn More...
United States
84130 Posts
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3517 Posts
 Posted 03/25/2020  9:32 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add smokeriderdon to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Its not about change. I am fine with that. Like I said, I would have loved for them to keep the 05 obverse. I just find this rendition of Jefferson to be horrid.
Valued Member
United States
216 Posts
 Posted 03/26/2020  1:53 pm  Show Profile   Check BrandaBob's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add BrandaBob to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The criticism for this design is fair, admittedly I prefer the 1938 design, but by no means is the 2006 one bad in my eyes.

What I don't get is the disdain for the shield cent reverse, do people really think this design is terrible? I mean it has more going for it than the wheat reverse, but I'm fine with all three. Everybody's entitled to their own opinions but I can't help but feel the reluctance towards shield cents is purely on the merit of nostalgia, it's an absolutely passable design as is.
Learn More...
United States
84130 Posts
 Posted 03/26/2020  2:30 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Like I said, I would have loved for them to keep the 05 obverse.
I have to say I like the 2005 obverse is more than 2006+.

Quote:
What I don't get is the disdain for the shield cent reverse...
I have said many times I like the shield cent.

What I do not like is circulating cents, which goes back to what I said about resisting change.
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.82 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05