Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1946 1c What Happened To This Lincoln Cent? Mint Error Or Post Mint?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 9 / Views: 425Next Topic  
Valued Member

United States
117 Posts
 Posted 03/25/2020  10:38 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Vindex to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
When I search a penny roll I would put the nasty looking pre-1983 pennies in a bag for the day when it is legal to repurpose them. For some reason I decided to look through the bag and I found this 1946 with damage on the portrait. The irony is I made the mistake of not looking on the reverse. I thought the coin had been damaged post mint so why bother. I think I know what happened, I just don't know if it is possible. How did this coin get the numbers 1 and 20 stamped on the reverse?

Edited by Vindex
03/26/2020 08:26 am
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
960 Posts
 Posted 03/25/2020  10:45 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add lawest to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looks like a counter stamp, are the numbers incuse or raised. Also a picture of the obverse would help provide a better response
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
44428 Posts
 Posted 03/25/2020  10:46 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looks like a coins from Mexico on the Centavos. The Wheat cent is a damaged coin with a counter punch used on the coin. The opposite side will show a push out opposite the punchings.

The incuse mark on one side will push out on the other side.
Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
Valued Member
United States
457 Posts
 Posted 03/26/2020  04:39 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add lcutler to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Does look like someone just stamped a "20" into it.
Valued Member
United States
117 Posts
 Posted 03/26/2020  08:35 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Vindex to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yes it is incuse. And it does look counter stamped. What is interesting is that both of the numbers match up with the numbers from the 1946 Equador Centavos. 1946 was the last year of Philadelphia minting the centavos. Is it possible that this counter stamping was done at the mint?
Pillar of the Community
United States
817 Posts
 Posted 03/26/2020  08:38 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ijn1944 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Given the photos posted, yes, it appears someone outside the mint stamped the number onto the reverse. If you're so inclined, save it as a fun piece.
Edited by ijn1944
03/26/2020 08:39 am
Valued Member
United States
117 Posts
 Posted 03/26/2020  08:44 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Vindex to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yes it is incuse. The obverse is the last image in the group (accidental omission) Is it possible that it was counter struck at the mint? Both numbers for the 10 centavos (10) and the twenty (20) match up with the 1946 Equador Centavos. Also, 1946 was the last year Philadelphia minted coins for Equador.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
47982 Posts
 Posted 03/26/2020  08:52 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

to the CCF!
Valued Member
United States
170 Posts
 Posted 03/26/2020  11:01 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add river4449 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It certainly is post-mint damage, and I agree with a counter-stamp. They're super fun to look for, I've found 1976 cents with American flag and liberty bell counter-stamps!

Jasper
regards, Jasper- "river4449"

PMs are open, whether you have a question or simply wish to talk.
Valued Member
United States
457 Posts
 Posted 03/26/2020  5:02 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add lcutler to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
No chance this was done at the mint.
  Previous TopicReplies: 9 / Views: 425Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.66 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05