Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1894 Indian Head 1 C

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 10 / Views: 433Next Topic  
Valued Member
United States
285 Posts
 Posted 03/29/2020  2:52 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Wideglide to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Up for inspection is this 1894 (one of the better dates), in pretty nice shape. The scratch below the date definitely hurts it, though.

Pillar of the Community
United States
1840 Posts
 Posted 03/29/2020  3:03 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add hfjacinto to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I really like it BUT the scratch :(

I'll take the scratch out in doing the grade, based on the condition, minimum of scratches I would say anywhere from AU 58 to MS 62. That scratch may detail it though.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
47936 Posts
 Posted 03/29/2020  3:35 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm at AU details (scratched, probably by a staple).
Edited by Coinfrog
03/29/2020 7:56 pm
Learn More...
United States
16027 Posts
 Posted 03/29/2020  4:47 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
probably by a staple.

My thought exactly @frog--and therefore entirely preventable.
"If you climb a good tree, you get a push."
-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1320 Posts
 Posted 03/29/2020  7:04 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add fortcollins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
First,

Ouch! That was one costly staple.

I agree with AU details. The size, freshness, and location of the scratch details the coin.

The rest of the coin is really nice, and the clash marks are fairly bold. Except for the scratch, this one would have had great eye appeal.
Valued Member
United States
285 Posts
 Posted 03/29/2020  7:29 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Wideglide to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yeah, the scratch is killing me. Today was the first time it was out of its flip since I bought it 28 years ago. It wasn't nearly as evident. How much do you folks think that will hurt the value? 50% maybe?
Edited by Wideglide
03/29/2020 7:31 pm
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
13411 Posts
 Posted 03/29/2020  7:51 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add T-BOP to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
AU-58 Details , what a shame .
Proud Member of The Black Sheep Squadron !
Pillar of the Community
United States
1840 Posts
 Posted 03/29/2020  7:59 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add hfjacinto to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Today was the first time it was out of its flip since I bought it 28 years ago. It wasn't nearly as evident. How much do you folks think that will hurt the value? 50% maybe?

I can't really answer this, but an 1894 is not a real rare date, so based on RedBook an AU 1894 is $70, I wouldn't pay $35 for a scratched AU coin, at that price point a nice clean VF for $20-$30 would make more sense. The issue with this coin is visual appeal, the scratch kills a lot of visual appeal. Sorry, its a nice coin, if it was mine I would keep it, may walk around with it to minimize the scratch. I would rather have a clean XF than a detailed AU.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
47936 Posts
 Posted 03/29/2020  7:59 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Just a guess - maybe $30-40?
Pillar of the Community
United States
3173 Posts
 Posted 03/29/2020  10:12 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Greasy Fingers to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Valued Member
United States
170 Posts
 Posted 03/30/2020  8:56 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add river4449 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It's AU for sure, such a shame about the scratch it really had some great color on it. Cool coin nonetheless
regards, Jasper- "river4449"

PMs are open, whether you have a question or simply wish to talk.
  Previous TopicReplies: 10 / Views: 433Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.48 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05