Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

What Is The Best Book Out There On Morgan Dollars?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 6 / Views: 420Next Topic  
United States
42 Posts
 Posted 04/02/2020  2:24 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Bob June to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Preferably for a beginner
Pillar of the Community
United States
2621 Posts
 Posted 04/02/2020  4:47 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Slider23 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I would recommend Wayne Miller's "Morgan and the Peace dollar" text book.
Pillar of the Community
United States
9210 Posts
 Posted 04/02/2020  5:09 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add dave700x to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Also Q. David Bowers Red Book Guide on Morgan dollars.
1883-O Nut
Pillar of the Community
United States
585 Posts
 Posted 04/02/2020  8:05 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add MrPink2018 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
look into the comprehensive catalog and encyclopedia of morgan and Peace dollars by george mallis & leroy van allen. it was my first morgan book.
Valued Member
United States
144 Posts
 Posted 04/07/2020  4:41 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add suipakpaikungfu to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'd recommend all 3 of the books mentioned, as well as a standard Red Book. ( Guide book to United States coins, available at any bookstore)
MrPink's suggestion is more for an advanced collector (of VAMs), but the ONE place
right now I believe you can still find treasures and make some $$ at the same time.
Pillar of the Community
United States
7239 Posts
 Posted 04/09/2020  12:00 am  Show Profile   Check westcoin's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add westcoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
For a beginner and a ton of info look for John Highfill's fantastic and "large" "The Comprehensive U.S. Silver Dollar Encyclopedia" from 1992. He has a new edition out (2017), but the first edition is still wonderful and a ton of information. You should easily find copies for under $40 shipped. It's a massive book with every date and mint mark covered, as well as hoards, mintages, Prooflike and deep mirror prooflike survival estimates.

Q. David Bowers wrote a two part volume on silver dollars, that cover all the series, but it's expensive and probably more than you are looking for.

I really like Wayne Miller's book too, it's long out of print and can be tougher to locate, still a great book.

The Van Allen/Mallis VAM book maybe way too advanced for most beginners in silver dollars. You can get a good idea of and better help at Vamworld website to start with, IMO.

I wrote up a lengthy list of silver dollar books a few years ago here at CCF, it's only scratching the surface but you might want to take a look at it here: http://goccf.com/t/152565
"Buy the Book Before You Buy the Coin" - Aaron R. Feldman - "And read it" - Me 2013!
ANA Life Member #3288 in good standing since 1982, EAC Member #6202, NBS Member, 2 variety collector.

See my want page: http://goccf.com/t/140440
Valued Member
United States
144 Posts
 Posted 04/18/2020  1:58 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add suipakpaikungfu to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Highfill's book on silver dollars is worth the price for the "old timers" stories alone!!
  Previous TopicReplies: 6 / Views: 420Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.41 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05