Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1920 Lincoln Cent ..... Of Apparent Copper-Nickel Composition

First page | Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 35 / Views: 2,966Next Topic
Page: of 3
Pillar of the Community
United States
3701 Posts
 Posted 04/05/2020  6:13 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ExoGuy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I would love to ask you some questions about your passion, counter struck coins.

@Vindex .... I'd gladly exchange info with you on the topic of counterstamps. I just tried to PM you, but your mail setting is shut off. I believe that you can adjust the setting from your profile.

Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
46202 Posts
 Posted 04/05/2020  7:46 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
Pillar of the Community
United States
1623 Posts
 Posted 04/05/2020  10:30 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Petespockets55 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Nice save! Looky here. https://www.ebay.com/itm/332377311517

Congratulations on a great find/save.
This one Tunnioc posted the link to has the same weakness to OF AMERICA on the reverse as yours.

Can you get your friend to weigh the coin before he sends it off? That will save a two-month wait for the results.
(We are a notoriously impatient group! )
Valued Member
United States
441 Posts
 Posted 04/05/2020  10:38 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CoinHI to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hey Petespockets55, I linked to a 1919 in a previous post that weighs 3.2 (circulated). Slightly overweight as Mike Diamond says. If that helps.
Best Find - 1976 D WQ DDO-001 http://goccf.com/t/356041

Interesting find - 1947 S over inverted S http://goccf.com/t/368005
Pillar of the Community
United States
1623 Posts
 Posted 04/05/2020  11:26 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Petespockets55 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks CoinHi. (Vindex shared some great info by the way.)
From my search, I found 3 that might apply. OP's coin had weight and % that were different than the official specs from the mint.

(All 3 were listed as 75% copper and 25% Nickel with a weight of 3.0 grams)
Argentina- 1919 & 1920 10 Centavo
Columbia- 1920 2 centavo
Peru - 1918, 5 Centavo (date is a stretch but plausible)
Pillar of the Community
United States
3701 Posts
 Posted 04/05/2020  11:31 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ExoGuy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'll give my buddy a call tomorrow to see if he can weigh it.
Edited by ExoGuy
04/06/2020 09:30 am
Pillar of the Community
United States
3701 Posts
 Posted 04/06/2020  09:29 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ExoGuy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
4-6-2020

UPDATE .... The 1920 weighs in at 3.2 grams. as thought.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1623 Posts
 Posted 04/07/2020  06:20 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Petespockets55 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks Exoguy.

It probably weighed a little more when minted. Might indicate a rolled thick planchet stock (slightly)?
Pillar of the Community
United States
3701 Posts
 Posted 04/25/2020  5:51 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ExoGuy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Just checking in .... I sent the 1920 CN cent to a dealer buddy in NY. He's soon to be getting a large group of pieces off to NGC.
Edited by ExoGuy
04/25/2020 6:09 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
1623 Posts
 Posted 04/26/2020  09:04 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Petespockets55 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Great purchase back then.
I'm not sure if the XRF analysis to determine metal composition of an alloy was available back then. If it was, I would think it would have been cost prohibitive to have it done on a coin. Value vs. cost sort of thing. Seems like it worked to your advantage and only took half a century! Your patience is inspiring!
Pillar of the Community
United States
3701 Posts
 Posted 06/20/2020  04:07 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ExoGuy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Just a heads-up, folks. NGC now has the coin, and I'm awaiting their determination. A dealer buddy in another state submitted it for me, along with a batch of others. That's why it's taking so long.

@Petespockets55 .... Thanks for the kindly comment on my patience. Speaking of patience, I just acquired a coin that's been on my "serious" want list for over a quarter century. There are but ten known. But, that's another story! I guess the old adage, "Good things come to those who wait," does hold water.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1623 Posts
 Posted 06/20/2020  10:24 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Petespockets55 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for the update and looking forward to seeing your long awaited "new" aquisition.
Pillar of the Community
United States
3701 Posts
 Posted 08/06/2020  7:43 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ExoGuy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I called NGC, today, to inquire about my submissions, sent over two months ago! I was told that they were sent out, today. The 1920 Lincoln Cent was confirmed as suspected. It's been graded XF, XF-45, I think I heard. As it's being shipped to my dealer-buddy in NY, it'll be awhile before I can get pics of the slab to then post.

I'm pleased by this confirmation. A few years ago now, I picked up a 1956-D cent struck on a silver dime planchet. Now realizing that a 1920 copper-nickel cent has been in my possession for decades is a welcomed surprise.

I'll likely never send another coin to NGC. Two pieces are being returned in body bags. Long story .... unrelated to this thread.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1623 Posts
 Posted 08/06/2020  11:17 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Petespockets55 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Congratulations!

Did it get attributed as an Argentina 10 Centavo planchet as Mike Diamond suggested?
Pillar of the Community
United States
3701 Posts
 Posted 08/07/2020  05:57 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ExoGuy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Did it get attributed as an Argentina 10 Centavo planchet as Mike Diamond suggested?

Yes, Pete. This coin makes me wonder if I've any more rare items of which I've yet to become aware, hiding in my coin boxes?

Page: of 3 Previous TopicReplies: 35 / Views: 2,966Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.62 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05