Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1980 1 Cent With Large Rim Fin - What Happened?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 6 / Views: 443Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
Canada
751 Posts
 Posted 04/05/2020  4:20 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add robmck1967 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
hello everyone. I hope you are all staying safe!

I have had this coin for a while and just had it listed as "rim fin". due to the huge fin, it kept puncturing the 2x2 when I put it in a binder so I kept it in the "to do" box. now many years later and with more experience under my belt, I took another look at this coin.

I didn't really notice before that the obverse (opposite of the rim fin) looks much like a blakesley effect with a weakening of the rim and even some dovetailing. from the side (pic 4 and 5) you can see what looks like it could be a second strike or indent strike?

please take a look and let me know what you think this is or what happened.

Thank you.
Rob

Pillar of the Community
Canada
1651 Posts
 Posted 04/05/2020  4:21 pm  Show Profile   Check nickelsguy's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add nickelsguy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
nice coin misaligned reverse die imo
Pillar of the Community
Canada
880 Posts
 Posted 04/05/2020  7:59 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add johnnysprawl to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yes, I agree that it's an indent from a second strike; you're 4th and 5th photos show it best.

I have a similar 1963 1c, although with a slightly larger area that was double struck.

Learn More...
Canada
9066 Posts
 Posted 04/06/2020  01:15 am  Show Profile   Check SPP-Ottawa's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add SPP-Ottawa to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
nice coin misaligned reverse die imo

the extra metal caused from the misaligned reverse die had to go somewhere...
"Research is what I am doing, when I don't know what I am doing" --Wernher von Braun

Content of this post is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 3.0 Unported License. See: http://creativecommons.org/licenses...0/deed.en_US

My eBay store
Pillar of the Community
Canada
751 Posts
 Posted 04/13/2020  12:38 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add robmck1967 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
thank you for the responses. now I see the MAD on the reverse and this makes sense. what I don't understand is the effect on the obverse rim, where it has a weak rim, slight dovetailing in pic 6, and the concave area on the rim in pic 4.
Learn More...
Canada
9066 Posts
 Posted 04/13/2020  4:05 pm  Show Profile   Check SPP-Ottawa's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add SPP-Ottawa to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Because the dies are misaligned, it could have been sheared up by the collar die if it _just_ was resting on the lip of the collar die, a mere instant before the hammer die struck. The lack of metal for the anvil die (with it being sheared away by the collar die), would behave just like a small rim clip, and not enough metal to form the rim on the obverse.
"Research is what I am doing, when I don't know what I am doing" --Wernher von Braun

Content of this post is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 3.0 Unported License. See: http://creativecommons.org/licenses...0/deed.en_US

My eBay store
Pillar of the Community
Canada
751 Posts
 Posted 04/14/2020  8:06 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add robmck1967 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
thanks for the explanation SPP. I appreciate it.
Rob
  Previous TopicReplies: 6 / Views: 443Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.45 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05