Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Worth Sending This G-4 Barber Half To A TPG?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 12 / Views: 453Next Topic  
Valued Member

United States
56 Posts
 Posted 04/09/2020  12:25 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add goterps04 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I estimate this 1897-S Barber half dollar to be a solid G-4, valued at around $160 (eBay sales around $100). For something that isn't much better than "good", is it worth sending to a TPG if the intent is to hold for maybe 10 years and then sell? Does verifying the authenticity come into play?

Pillar of the Community
United States
6933 Posts
 Posted 04/09/2020  12:38 am  Show Profile   Check GrapeCollects's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add GrapeCollects to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It's AG/FR Details Cleaned
My best finds: 1999-WAM:http://goccf.com/t/332161 1988-RDV-6:http://goccf.com/t/335954#2873459 1986-Off-center: http://goccf.com/t/335952
1999 WAM #2:http://goccf.com/t/338710&whichpage=1
1981 Double Struck In Collar: http://goccf.com/t/350199&whichpage=1
ANA id: 3194067
My Type Set: http://goccf.com/t/359443&whichpage=1
If you want to buy something or sell something or just talk, shoot me a PM!
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
5151 Posts
 Posted 04/09/2020  12:41 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add westernsky to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Instead of slabbing it.......

I'd put it in a card board 2x2, label it with the date/mm, grade, value and the date you holdered it

.....and not put any more money in it with grading fees.

Valued Member
United States
494 Posts
 Posted 04/09/2020  06:04 am  Show Profile   Check Onedollarbillnut's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Onedollarbillnut to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Not worth slabbing. AG/FR details cleaned.
Tim Hughes
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
13364 Posts
 Posted 04/09/2020  07:17 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add T-BOP to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
AG-03 Details . Do not send it in . Quite a few issues with this coin .
Proud Member of The Black Sheep Squadron !
Bedrock of the Community
Australia
16950 Posts
 Posted 04/09/2020  07:47 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Potential value would suggest that grading and shipping fees could be justified, but frankly,
I agree with the other opinions before mine.
Valued Member
United States
142 Posts
 Posted 04/09/2020  08:39 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jafo50 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I would not send this in for grading. At best it's an AG coin and based on your own eBay search you would barely recoup your grading costs.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1818 Posts
 Posted 04/09/2020  08:54 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add hfjacinto to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I think your grade is overly generous. This coin is FR/AG at the best.

If you want to get it slabbed, don't listen to me. Do it, but there are so few coins that should be slabbed and this is definitely not one of them.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
47775 Posts
 Posted 04/09/2020  08:55 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Agree, this is AG at best. Don't need a slab to confirm that.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
3299 Posts
 Posted 04/09/2020  09:55 am  Show Profile   Check Pacificoin's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Pacificoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Don't make the grading firm any richer than it already is .
Coin is never going to straight grade . Far too many issues .
AG 3 / FR2 Details .
Spend the 40 bucks you were going to get the coin graded on
a few coins!
Pillar of the Community
United States
3399 Posts
 Posted 04/09/2020  09:55 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add matthewvincent to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Agree with others - this coin does not 'need' a slab.
A collector of this series would judge it as AG or Fair.
Authenticity is not an issue.
Use a 2x2.

Brother, can you spare a "BARBER" dime?
Edited by matthewvincent
04/09/2020 09:58 am
Pillar of the Community
United States
6272 Posts
 Posted 04/09/2020  11:53 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Earle42 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
with what has been said.

Quote:
Don't make the grading firm any richer than it already is .

The grading companies make too much money off of the coin hobby b/c marketers have convinced people "professional" grading is an essential part of numismatics (or newbies see slabs all over eBay etc. and just assume slabs are THE coin hobby).

Yes, slabbing then selling the right coins maximizes profits. The TPG-invented registry sets are a part of the intended business model to maximize profits. Registry sets create a fun atmosphere of competition that continually drives up the prices of how much people will pay for the slabbed top grades.

There are two distinct yet generally not very well defined hobbies:
1. The first is about the coin, the whole coin, and nothing (well..history etc.) but the coin(s).
2. The coin+slab+TPG-name+grade on label. Some of these hobbyists can even go to the point of not personally evaluating the actual coin, but focusing on the other aspects involved (including different colored/designs of labels as well)

There is no right or wrong as to which is THE correct was to enjoy a hobby b/c hobbies are about what people enjoy.

The TPGs aso make out well b/c the two worlds of numismatics are generally not well defined except by a few of us nuts who like to help hobbyists not waste their money. So there are a lot of people, unlike the OP, who will assume slabbing is needed for everything and waste their money.

If a legitimately scientific and reproducible grading system were implemented in which each coin always graded the same, the focus likely would shift back to the coin itself. However, TPGs would likely not make nearly as much money as they do clinging to an outdated system based on subjectivity. Tech that could have been implemented a couple decades ago remains in the closet.
- When I value " being right" more than what IS right, I am then right...a fool.
- How much squash could a Sasquatch squash if a Sasquatch would squash squash?
- Prosp long and liver.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
20028 Posts
 Posted 04/29/2020  1:03 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add IndianGoldEagle to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
AG-3 at best and not worth slabbing. Even at $160, it is only a hole filler in a low grade set.
  Previous TopicReplies: 12 / Views: 453Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.67 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05