Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1939 S Nickel DDR Or S Over An S

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 9 / Views: 329Next Topic  
Valued Member
United States
91 Posts
 Posted 05/18/2020  11:15 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Coop76 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
There appears to be a second S mintmark does that not qualify as a well a DDR in this case? Or is it listed as some thing else?

Valued Member
United States
138 Posts
 Posted 05/21/2020  12:00 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add That coin dude to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Better photos
Simply just a friendly coin dude that you can hug.

I collect mainly foreign coins, but have more knowledge on US coinage.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
26893 Posts
 Posted 05/21/2020  12:15 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Errers and Varietys to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
There's only one Doubled Die Reverse listed for that year. You will need to look carefully at the description and pictures, so that you don't get confused. The one they're showing is in a Late Die State, so it has Die Deterioration Doubling (which is not part of the Doubled Die. It's a different doubling caused by a worn die issue from die wear). Look at the notches at the tops, bottom, and look for separation in the pictures. https://www2.briansvarietycoins.com...gs/view/1560

Not seeing an RPM.
Edited by Errers and Varietys
05/21/2020 12:17 am
Pillar of the Community
United States
1414 Posts
 Posted 05/22/2020  08:18 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Petespockets55 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If you are saying you see a second mint mark on the left side of the building then you are seeing damage from circulation.

If you are seeing a secondary MM near the primary then you may have an RPM or it may be Mechanical Doubling (MD).

The images are not clear enough for us to tell.
Edited by Petespockets55
05/22/2020 08:20 am
Valued Member
United States
91 Posts
 Posted 05/26/2020  11:26 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coop76 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Well if you look at the third pic of the mintmark I guess it was a 3 I was seeing not an S my bad but is that not an error? Somehow I was call that an s--sorry about that. Is that not a 3 right up next to the building but to the left of the mintmark?

*** Edited by Staff to remove YELLING. All capital letters is the internet version of yelling. Please do not do it in titles or posts. ***
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
44938 Posts
 Posted 05/26/2020  9:26 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Note that this is not raised from the fields. It is not a device from the die . Looks more like the coating was scratched off on that area. That is what you're seeing. There's no device that looks like that on either side oh the coins design. Just your brain making sense of what it is seeing. Like when you are dreaming, all the dream makes sense. When you try to recall it the next day, it made no sense at all. The brain does that to you.
Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
Learn More...
United States
16307 Posts
 Posted 05/26/2020  9:28 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@coop76, you have good questions and I really like your passion, but please don't type in all upper case. I've fixed your post above.
"If you climb a good tree, you get a push."
-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz

Valued Member
United States
91 Posts
 Posted 05/27/2020  2:28 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coop76 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Sorry about the caps lock I wasnt aware or wasnt yelling at anyone I was simply responding to a earlier msg sorry about that and thanks for fixing (to Coop from Coop) lol
Off topic but I have Uncle named Richard Cooper but I believe hes a dean or Earl cant remember at any rate have a great day thanks for the info and again sorry about the caps lock. Happy Trails, . Coop!
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
44938 Posts
 Posted 05/27/2020  3:42 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I have many relatives, but they are mostly in the Iowa area. (Some scattered, but that is where we all landed at one time)
Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
Valued Member
United States
91 Posts
 Posted 05/28/2020  02:53 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coop76 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
lol I lived in Council bluffs 06,07,08 but not from there and my fam is from Custer South Dakota/ Black Hills area but I from PNW
  Previous TopicReplies: 9 / Views: 329Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.64 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05