Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1972 Kennedy Weighing 10.3 Grams Found CRHing

Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 22 / Views: 536Next Topic
Page: of 2
Valued Member
United States
50 Posts
 Posted 05/20/2020  7:37 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add kingtk24 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Ok...2nd time posting after starting this Coin/CRH hobby 8mos ago. Been going thru 4-5 boxes of halves and pennies a week and been thru all the swings...silver dump...nfic dump...nothing at all..gold plated...proofs etc...and even a couple trick coins. I know my halves now.

With that being said I was CRHing today a box when I heard what I thought was a silver ping. Did not see it on edge so started to figure out which coin it was...narrowed it down to a 1972 Kennedy.

Ended up weighing it after I went thru all the checks and it weighed 10.3 grams.......odd...double checked multiple times...re calibrated new scale again...new batteries again....same weight exactly. Googled it and found only 1 old post with exact coin from 2013 I think it was that had everyone confused.

Now I'm here on my 2nd post where I know someone has to have some info. Wrong/Foreign planchet...is this a found error like the 1982D or 1983D penny? ...anyone got any info?
Valued Member
United States
115 Posts
 Posted 05/20/2020  8:10 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Hermz to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Maybe a hollowed out coin. Like a discreet "stash coin". Just a guess. I'm sure someone with a more educated guess will help.
Pillar of the Community
United States
790 Posts
 Posted 05/20/2020  8:24 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ijn1944 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Posting photos of the obverse and reverse might help us arrive at a diagnosis.
Learn More...
United States
16011 Posts
 Posted 05/20/2020  8:34 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yes please add pics of the front and back of this coin to this thread for us. Thx.
"If you climb a good tree, you get a push."
-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz

Valued Member
United States
50 Posts
 Posted 05/20/2020  10:24 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add kingtk24 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It is not a hollow coin or trick coin...here are some pics

Valued Member
United States
50 Posts
 Posted 05/20/2020  10:27 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add kingtk24 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Here is the scale pic
Valued Member
United States
50 Posts
 Posted 05/20/2020  10:30 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add kingtk24 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Here it is
Pillar of the Community
United States
682 Posts
 Posted 05/20/2020  10:50 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SamCoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Interesting! Possibly a rolled-thin planchet?
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
44366 Posts
 Posted 05/20/2020  10:57 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
This coin was altered. Note the reverse. You can see the rim was split of another coin and added to this coin:

If you look closer you can see the double lines on the reverse rim.

Just an altered used to be two coins, now made into one coin. Just a fake alteration. I've heard, placing it into a drinking glass (real glass) and shaking it sideways can loosen the reverse so as to fall off/ You can buy these in magic shops. The ligher weight is the missing metal from the coins.
Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
Valued Member
United States
50 Posts
 Posted 05/20/2020  11:11 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add kingtk24 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I hate to be the NOOB that tells the VET that they are wrong..but..u are...ive got a trick coin or two..ive tried to get it open...notice the wear on the reverse at the dollar lettering..also here is a pic of both the coin I'm asking about and my trick coin...and the trick coin weighs 11.5 g

Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
44366 Posts
 Posted 05/20/2020  11:35 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I was looking at the USA on your images. But the mark on the Dollar images make we wonder now.

Thickness compared with another half side by side with the edges showing?

Stack up or side by side. That might help more.
Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays

Valued Member
United States
50 Posts
 Posted 05/20/2020  11:41 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add kingtk24 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The 1972 is in the middle sandwiched by a 1967 and a 1971
Valued Member
United States
50 Posts
 Posted 05/20/2020  11:46 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add kingtk24 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Herse another pic of sandwich
Pillar of the Community
United States
1904 Posts
 Posted 05/21/2020  08:30 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mikediamond to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Your half dollar was almost certainly struck on a planchet derived from rolled-thin stock. I've seen examples that weigh less than 7 grams.
Error coin writer and researcher.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
44366 Posts
 Posted 05/21/2020  1:49 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Where the weakness of the DOLLAR area is probably where you will see thinness on the edge of the coin. Take another edge shot with that area showing and we will probably see the reduction on the edge of the coin. All the other areas will be normal, just that one area will be tapered.
Richard S. Cooper

Valued Member
United States
50 Posts
 Posted 05/21/2020  8:00 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add kingtk24 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Coop...here are some more pics...it is not any thinner than other halfs..its a match...it also does not weigh 7 or 8 grams as some thin rolled halfs are suggested to weigh...

also watch this video...this is exactly what I found!

Y-Mc1R4NE2c

I also chatted with someone last night who said it could be on a Bahamas Half Dollar planchet same year or a Panamanian planchet? What u think?...let me know

Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 22 / Views: 536Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.68 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05