Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Are These Cartwheel Pennies Real?

First page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 25 / Views: 1,073Next Topic
Page: of 2
Valued Member
Canada
453 Posts
 Posted 05/25/2020  6:36 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Numis-Northerner to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
.In the UK I would expect to pick them up for 5 to 10.
Here is mine for comparison:

You got that for 15 quid?!
Valued Member
United Kingdom
392 Posts
 Posted 05/26/2020  03:28 am  Show Profile   Check PaddyB's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add PaddyB to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Quote:
"In the UK I would expect to pick them up for 5 to 10.
Here is mine for comparison:

You got that for 15 quid?! "

Actually no - I paid 30 for that one a few years back, but still a pretty good deal I think. Ought to make 60+ in the UK now, probably even more in the US.
Valued Member
United Kingdom
415 Posts
 Posted 05/26/2020  03:50 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Hogarth to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Yes, at 30, there's certainly decent profit to be had Paddy. It's a nice example, and free of the edge knocks so often seen on cartwheels.
Valued Member
United Kingdom
392 Posts
 Posted 05/26/2020  04:10 am  Show Profile   Check PaddyB's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add PaddyB to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Ah yes, but that one is MY one!
Valued Member
United Kingdom
415 Posts
 Posted 05/26/2020  05:27 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Hogarth to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Here's mine.

Valued Member
Australia
442 Posts
 Posted 05/26/2020  05:46 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coaster to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
As I stated previously, I'm definitely no expert when it comes to your cartwheel pennies but I'm wondering is this a coin that has been readily faked in the past ... and if yes, what are the tell tail signs?
Valued Member
United Kingdom
375 Posts
 Posted 06/03/2020  10:54 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add zookeeperz to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Here is my Penny.This one is unlisted as it comes with unbarred A Fake ones are easy to spot as they are very crude. The portrait on most look like Mick Jagger

Edited by zookeeperz
06/03/2020 10:56 pm
Pillar of the Community
Australia
662 Posts
 Posted 06/04/2020  12:37 am  Show Profile   Check ryurazu's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add ryurazu to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
i believe the hardest for newbies to ID is the re-strikes of these coins however most mints will try not to restrike them on copper or brass, so that most collectors know that its just a re-striked (proofs that are actually from the 18th century are rare and expensive).
Pillar of the Community
United States
511 Posts
 Posted 06/17/2020  01:16 am  Show Profile   Check yellow88's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add yellow88 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I thought maybe these two pics of my for sure 100% authentic coin may assist you in verifying yours. Yours do appear to look quite nice.

Great Britain: George III "Cartwheel" Penny 1797

"Reality is that which when you stop believing in it, it doesn't go away."- philip k dick

eBay store: https://www.ebay.com/str/globalcoin...collectibles
eBay ID: https://www.ebay.com/usr/sellingsecretslegit
Pillar of the Community
Russian Federation
3116 Posts
 Posted 06/17/2020  11:01 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add january1may to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
IIRC, the pennies are extremely common (and circulated a lot, so are frequently found very worn), while the twopences are relatively scarce (and didn't circulate anywhere near as much, so tend to show up in much better condition).

I have about two or three of the pennies, which I paid less than 1 for each.
I have yet to find a twopence within my budget; if they really cost 10+, that's not surprising. The type is on my long-term wishlist, though.
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 25 / Views: 1,073Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.52 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05