Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Why Are There So Many Ugly Comments?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 8 / Views: 215Next Topic  
United States
2 Posts
 Posted 05/22/2020  11:01 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add JandJcollections to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hi all!
I am brand new to this community. I have recently inherited quite a few different types of coins. All ranging from 1909-1970. This person was a collector for sure but I don't have a clue what I am really looking for. They contain Mercury dimes, half dollars, silver dollars, wheat pennies, Lincoln cents and there is so much to learn. I have seen so many posts where the person asking the question just gets roasted! I would really love and appreciate positive advice from newbies like me or the most experienced person could pass along. I am watching many YouTube videos and have purchased a simple coin microscope along with a few Lupes. I would like to sell some and would really appreciate any advice on how to start. Thank you in advance
J
Learn More...
United States
15958 Posts
 Posted 05/22/2020  11:12 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I have seen so many posts where the person asking the question just gets roasted!

First welcome to CCF. Second, it isn't clear to me if these roasts that you reference are occurring here on CCF or elsewhere on the interwebs. We try very hard to make this particular space a safe one, largely free from criticism and snark. If you do see this sort of bullying going on here, please click on the "report this post to the staff" link and we will take care of this quickly. CCF is a place of education and learning.
"If you climb a good tree, you get a push."
-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz

Pillar of the Community
United States
6933 Posts
 Posted 05/22/2020  11:20 am  Show Profile   Check GrapeCollects's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add GrapeCollects to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

However, there is a point where if a poster is showing a coin that's worth 1c and are being belligerent and calling us, the people whose opinion he/she sought out in the first place, stupid or uneducated about a coin that we do get exasperated.
My best finds: 1999-WAM:http://goccf.com/t/332161 1988-RDV-6:http://goccf.com/t/335954#2873459 1986-Off-center: http://goccf.com/t/335952
1999 WAM #2:http://goccf.com/t/338710&whichpage=1
1981 Double Struck In Collar: http://goccf.com/t/350199&whichpage=1
ANA id: 3194067
My Type Set: http://goccf.com/t/359443&whichpage=1
If you want to buy something or sell something or just talk, shoot me a PM!
Pillar of the Community
4957 Posts
 Posted 05/22/2020  11:26 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add USSID18 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Go on eBay. Compare your coins and conditions on what's selling on eBay and you can get a good estimate on what they are worth. Or you can post pictures of each coin here (use one coin per thread) and we can give you feedback/estimates condition and price.

The people that get roasted are the people that won't lift a finger to learn or expect us to do all the work for them. Or the ones that won't provide feedback to our questions.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1903 Posts
 Posted 05/22/2020  11:26 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add keith12 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
with Grape. Some people don't like what they hear
Learn More...
United States
86068 Posts
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1982 Posts
 Posted 05/22/2020  1:17 pm  Show Profile   Check Yokozuna's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Yokozuna to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
to the CCF!

J said...

Quote:
I am watching many YouTube videos

I'm not a fan of YouTube coin videos. You would be better served to join a local coin club in your area or a national club like ANA. While some of the videos are informative and helpful, many more seem to be misleading and even outright lies.

Buy books on the types of coins you are most interested in and make sure that they are up to date.

I've never been a fan of digital microscopes, but a good macro camera and a 10X to 30X LED illuminated loupe are among my favorites when it comes to the study numismatics. I'm a member of ANA, CONECA, PCGS and Heritage Auctions (joining HA.com is free and you can research coins, values and auction results for almost 2.5 million coins.) I subscribe to COINage, Numismatic News and a couple of others I can't think of right now.

When you post on a question on CCF, try to remember that the replies come from other members just like you. Some members have answered the same questions over and over, and while it's not an excuse, they may be short in their answer.

I've learned more on CCF than anywhere else. I've been an error and variety collector for forty years and a member here for more than nine years. I hope I've help other members with the questions they post and have always appreciated the comments that others have posted in response to my questions.
"Shine, shine, a Roosevelt dime
All the way to Baltimore and running out of time" - Tom Waits 'Clap Hands'

Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
15049 Posts
 Posted 05/22/2020  3:13 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dorado to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
To the Forum.
United States
2 Posts
 Posted 05/22/2020  3:58 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JandJcollections to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you so much for the wonderful suggestions. I myself have been very confused by the number of YouTube videos and I have registered with Heritage Auctions and ordered a couple of books.

It is all a bit intimidating, but so interesting! As well as addictive! I just love the history and the stories behind the Mints, the errors, the grades, colors and composition of each coin. As I organize and put iur collection together, I can't wait to hear from the group and learn as much as I can. My fiancÚ knows a bit more than I do. He said that he enjoys seeing my reaction to a beautiful coin and it makes him happy that I have found so much joy in it. It is an exciting hobby we enjoy doing together. Every once in awhile I surprise him with a fact or two he was unaware of. Thank you and will be chatting with you soon.
  Previous TopicReplies: 8 / Views: 215Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.53 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05