Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1945 S LMC With RPM Completely On The Rim And Different Font

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 7 / Views: 292Next Topic  

United States
36 Posts
 Posted 05/24/2020  3:35 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add DoesThisCount to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Looks like they were a little off the mark with this one as you can see the mms-006 right where it should be but a
mms-004 all the way over and completely on the rim

Valued Member
United States
382 Posts
 Posted 05/24/2020  4:43 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sosicoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hi, DoesThisCount. I like the coin you found. IMHO, the coin does not have RPM, it looks like a drop off MM on the rim of all places. The experts will chime in and help authenticate if the 'S' on the rim is a legitimate part of the minting process.

Enjoy the hobby.
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
374 Posts
 Posted 05/24/2020  5:05 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CoinHI to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice find, I'm not sure if it's an error or damage but it looks cool. It doesn't look mirrored & it doesn't look incused so very interesting. We'll see what the experts think.
Best Find - 1976 D WQ DDO-001 http://goccf.com/t/356041

Interesting find - 1947 S over inverted S http://goccf.com/t/368005
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
45084 Posts
 Posted 05/24/2020  5:11 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
This mintmark is called a 'Ball Serif.
MMS-006
1944-1946. On the 1946 There were inverted ones, but this is the correct alignment for the ball serif
http://www.varietyvista.com/01a%20L...20Styles.htm
The mintmark area was over polished on the fields and this weakened the upper part of the mintmark. Not a RPM.
Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
United States
36 Posts
 Posted 05/24/2020  5:39 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add DoesThisCount to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Coop: yes I agree that is the correct mint mark under the date but the mint mark in question is the one located to the east directly on the rim of the coin in mms-004. Thanks for the info.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
45084 Posts
 Posted 05/24/2020  5:51 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Note the area in question. There are incuse contact marks that make this appear, on that area. None of it is above the rim, but incuse on the rim. Also the rim is could't have a mintmark punch on that area as that is where the gutter on the otuside of the die is.

Note the outer edge of the die, then the step down I refer to as a gutter. This is what forms the rim. There is no way this could be punched to make a raised mint mark. The incuse marks just make it appear as it is raised, when it is actually the same height of the rim and the marks are incuse on the rims edge. Note another contact mark just below that area. (south of the area your looking at.
Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
Valued Member
United States
126 Posts
 Posted 05/24/2020  8:07 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Loco to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Coop, the more you respond, the more I learn. Thanks for you continued detailed responses!
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
101 Posts
 Posted 05/24/2020  8:59 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jpgrajek to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Seeing the S mint mark on the rim damage seems like " Pareidolia" to me, seeing Elvis in a potato chip. I am not sure I follow everything Coop said but I think he saying a mint mark on the rim would not be possible without some other errors/marks/some other die thingy? Is this correct Coop?
  Previous TopicReplies: 7 / Views: 292Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.53 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05