Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1875-S Seated Liberty Dime - What's Wrong With This Mint Mark?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 9 / Views: 434Next Topic  
Valued Member
United States
365 Posts
 Posted 05/25/2020  7:11 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Wideglide to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
48849 Posts
 Posted 05/25/2020  7:40 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Perhaps just flattened and damaged from circulation.
Edited by Coinfrog
05/25/2020 7:56 pm
Learn More...
United States
16367 Posts
 Posted 05/25/2020  8:51 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yes looks weird like it has been dobuled/tripled, but I agree with the frog that it is just odd damage.
"If you climb a good tree, you get a push."
-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz

Bedrock of the Community
United States
19348 Posts
 Posted 05/25/2020  8:55 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add just carl to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Not really sure but I have to agree with others that it is just damage. Almost could be a S over S though.
just carl
Pillar of the Community
United States
510 Posts
 Posted 05/25/2020  9:33 pm  Show Profile   Check Onedollarbillnut's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Onedollarbillnut to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Too damaged to tell if is a rpm
Tim Hughes
Pillar of the Community
United States
7263 Posts
 Posted 05/25/2020  11:56 pm  Show Profile   Check westcoin's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add westcoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I concur that it's damage, could be a doubled or tripled over mintmark, but no way of telling with that level of damage, so it can't be called as such unless there are other obvious die markers elsewhere on the coin that can be determined without any question to prove it's a repunched mintmark.
"Buy the Book Before You Buy the Coin" - Aaron R. Feldman - "And read it" - Me 2013!
ANA Life Member #3288 in good standing since 1982, EAC Member #6202, NBS Member, 2 variety collector.

See my want page: http://goccf.com/t/140440
Valued Member
United States
364 Posts
 Posted 05/26/2020  12:34 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add suipakpaikungfu to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yep. Possible doubled, but too much wear to tell.
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
335 Posts
 Posted 05/26/2020  11:07 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add BuyGuns to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Greetings...myself being a 'Pebble of the Community', I would defer to the folks comments above.

I just wanted to point that on Variety Vista web site, under "19th Century & Misc.", there are about five or so Liberty Seated dimes with what looks like doubled 'S' Mint Marks. So they exist. Or called Overlapped.

My take is this was definitely a double or triple 'S', and as noted as a possibility by the Bedrocks, got mangled over time, and hard to officially determine. But my money is on a once Double/Triple/overlapped MM/RPM, and you now see what you see on yours. In fact, yours looks like it may have been a dramatic overlap. Mangled, but a lot of 'S' there IMHO.

Just as a side note...Variety Vista, on all of these samples they have posted, the source is "unknown". They are asking for physical samples to be submitted for Attribution and photography ("Need Specimen for Study"). You may consider that, unless it is too damaged to be of use. Don't hurt to ask. They will tell you.

I had an email correspondence with Variety Vista's owner, Dr. Wiles, on a different coin matter last year, and he is a very pleasant individual. Very helpful. Very committed to his craft. Up to you.

Here's a couple sample pictures from V V:

Edited by BuyGuns
05/26/2020 11:12 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
634 Posts
 Posted 05/28/2020  11:54 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Heymikep to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
There are 32 varieties for this date and mint mark placement with 9 of the varieties having "filled s" mint marks. This coin looks like it would be one of those 9 varieties. Here is a site that lists them,
http://www.seateddimevarieties.com/..._varpage.htm
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
335 Posts
 Posted 05/29/2020  06:35 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add BuyGuns to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hey HeyMikep. Lol I added your link to my bookmarks. Good to know. Thx.
  Previous TopicReplies: 9 / Views: 434Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.8 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05