Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

2000 Gold Tone Manganese Quarter? Baffled But Excited

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 10 / Views: 323Next Topic  

United States
10 Posts
 Posted 05/26/2020  10:32 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Burbler123 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I found this in pocket change yesterday. I do not have a scale but will try to find one. Not sure what it would suppose to weigh

Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
44982 Posts
 Posted 05/26/2020  10:34 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looks like a coin you would find in a dusty outdoor find. Not a plus for the coin though.
Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
United States
10 Posts
 Posted 05/26/2020  10:45 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Burbler123 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I washed it with soap and water.
United States
10 Posts
 Posted 05/26/2020  10:48 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Burbler123 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It is definately not the same color as regular quarters. There is no clad appearance on edge of coin. 1 color golden
Pillar of the Community
United States
1016 Posts
 Posted 05/26/2020  11:01 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ijn1944 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Please post a photo or two of the reeded edge. There's a possibility that the coin was plated. There have been third-party vendors who've 'gold' plated quarters and sold them in sets.

Eager to hear what others have to say.
Forum Dad
Learn More...
United States
20580 Posts
 Posted 05/26/2020  11:19 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add bobby131313 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It is plated, everyone and their sister is plating these and selling them.

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nk..._sacat=11116
Pillar of the Community
United States
879 Posts
 Posted 05/26/2020  12:51 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SamCoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Agree with Bobby. These were sold all over (especially on late night infomercials to old people) back when the State Quarter series began. They would plate them in a microscopic coating of gold, then advertise them a "24k gold quarters" and sell about a dollar face for $19.95.
My best finds:
1996 DDO-001/FS-101: http://goccf.com/t/372066
Two 2000 WAMs in a box: http://goccf.com/t/375240
1995 DDO-001/FS-101: http://goccf.com/t/376071#3225244
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2049 Posts
 Posted 05/26/2020  6:56 pm  Show Profile   Check Yokozuna's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Yokozuna to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
to the CCF!

Burbler123 said...

Quote:
I washed it with soap and water.

ARGH!! Don't do that! It didn't do anything in this case, but IF you had a real rarity, cleaning it could have cost you big time.

It may be hard to look at a dirty coin and not want to clean it, but cleaning is not a good idea. Collectors look for original surfaces when buying coins.
"Shine, shine, a Roosevelt dime
All the way to Baltimore and running out of time" - Tom Waits 'Clap Hands'

Pillar of the Community
United States
2816 Posts
 Posted 05/26/2020  7:17 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add merclover to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
with Yokozuna

Never never never wash or clean your coins. It destroys the patina and value!

I also agree this is a plated coin.
Very common I'm afraid.

to the CCF!

ça va bien aller
Bedrock of the Community
United States
16630 Posts
 Posted 05/27/2020  10:48 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Conder101 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
What it definitely isn't is struck on a Manganese brass dollar planchet or on a quarter planchet punched from manganese brass strip. Dollar planchet wouldn't fit in the coining chamber and would be oversized, and a quarter blank punched form dollar strip would be seriously overweight, about 7 grams.
Gary Schmidt
Pillar of the Community
United States
1021 Posts
 Posted 05/27/2020  1:50 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Big-Kingdom to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I won't rule anything out with turn of the millennium.
http://www.error-ref.com/sate_quart...ental_alloy/

very well could be plated, and it is a Denver mint, not Philadelphia, but, Who knows, they were playing around for dollar planchets with quarter size stock in odd alloys at the end of 1999 and beginning of 2000 and testing strikes. Some have turned up.

still could be plated, because plating is pretty common with those.

The weight for a quarter should be 5.670 grams give or take, but this won't be difinitive either, because I can't tell you what the weight of the experimental planchets were and a layer of plating is minimal additional weight.

Clear in focus pictures of the coin, front, back and edge would be helpful, and still it might not tell us. I'd say you could scrape between the reeding on the edge (least noticeable spot for a test to happen) with a razor and if it's plated, it will come off and show copper, but I'd do less invasive methods first before going that far..

It's one of those things where it's going to be 99%+ plated, but that year has a higher chance than usual of being off metal and struck on an experimental planchet.

Don't get your hopes up though. It's had 20 years to circulate and be messed with and likely not a rarity.
Just telling it like it is.

I don't think weigh will be conclusive though, for all I know the experimental planchets were within weight tolerances for quarters also.
Edited by Big-Kingdom
05/27/2020 2:03 pm
  Previous TopicReplies: 10 / Views: 323Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.66 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05