Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Toned 1916 P LWC For Grade

Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 16 / Views: 597Next Topic
Page: of 2
Pillar of the Community

United States
1265 Posts
 Posted 05/26/2020  5:02 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Willburton to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
This coin has the one of the best beard and ear combo I've seen on a 1916.

Edited by Willburton
05/26/2020 5:10 pm
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3994 Posts
 Posted 05/26/2020  7:07 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add fenton to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Great strike. Color seems a bit questionable, and the carbon spotting to the right of Lincoln's bust seems distracting. I'll say MS-63 RB with a star for that toning assuming it's genuine color.
Edited by fenton
05/26/2020 7:08 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
1035 Posts
 Posted 05/26/2020  7:27 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ijn1944 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice coin. Abe's rockin' great hair. Appears to fall in the MS63-64 range.

From another angle, what are those 'sand fly'-like features to the east to Abe's face>?
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
13609 Posts
 Posted 05/26/2020  7:42 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add T-BOP to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice early die state , I like the toning and think It's NT . Reverse wheat stalks are sharp especially the left one . MS-64 . I too have to ask about those numerous peppered specks .
Proud Member of The Black Sheep Squadron !
Pillar of the Community
United States
1265 Posts
 Posted 05/26/2020  9:30 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Willburton to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm guessing that they are leftovers from a partial fingerprint. Thanks guys!
Bedrock of the Community
United States
16494 Posts
 Posted 05/26/2020  10:21 pm  Show Profile   Check BadThad's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add BadThad to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Beautiful coin, too bad about the spots.

63RB
Lincoln Cent Lover!
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
623 Posts
 Posted 05/26/2020  11:00 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mtuma3 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I've been collecting off and on for almost 55 years, and have a lot of Cents I collected, even as a kid, and I've never seen natural toning like that on a Cent coin.
I believe that coin was silver plated at some point. It you look at the top of the rim on the obverse, and several places on the reverse you can see what looks like bits of silver.
Just my opinion...
Mark
ANA Member
Official Snowbird! Illinois in Summer, Somewhere warm in Winter
My7070
Pillar of the Community
United States
4036 Posts
 Posted 05/26/2020  11:47 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CoinHunter27 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Wow! The facial hair detail is very strong. Haven't seen an early Lincoln with this strong of a strike. Wonderful coin!

-CH27
"Time is the coin of life. Only you can determine how it will be spent" -Carl Sandburg

Collector of Varieties and Errors of all kinds

Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
13609 Posts
 Posted 05/27/2020  09:26 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add T-BOP to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Does anyone believe this coin can be an impaired proof ?
Look at the wired edge rim on obverse at 12:00-5:00 .
Hmm ,the coin is not in any kind of holder . Question : How long has it been floating around like this ? I'm going to say there are fairly good odds that this 1916-P Lincoln Cent can very well be an impaired proof . JMHO , I'm not an expert on matte Proof Lincolns .
Pillar of the Community
United States
1623 Posts
 Posted 05/27/2020  12:38 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bump111 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Any chance of this being a proof?

Edit: Sorry T-Bop - didn't scroll down far enough to see your post.
Edited by Bump111
05/27/2020 12:39 pm
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
13609 Posts
 Posted 05/27/2020  2:03 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add T-BOP to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
No problem Bump , glad to see I'm not alone .
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
48817 Posts
 Posted 05/27/2020  2:13 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Is that in fact carbon flecking and not light pitting?
Bedrock of the Community
United States
16494 Posts
 Posted 05/27/2020  7:15 pm  Show Profile   Check BadThad's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add BadThad to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Does anyone believe this coin can be an impaired proof ?
Look at the wired edge rim on obverse at 12:00-5:00 .
Hmm ,the coin is not in any kind of holder . Question : How long has it been floating around like this ? I'm going to say there are fairly good odds that this 1916-P Lincoln Cent can very well be an impaired proof . JMHO , I'm not an expert on matte Proof Lincolns .

The hubs/dies were fresh from 1915 and slightly sharpened in 1916. The issue should be very well struck - this coin is no shocker in that department. There are many coins that have proof-like characteristics.

Now that I look again, the rim in that area shows it could have been encased. That would explain the look, it might have had a light polishing at some point if worn as jewelry. Nonetheless, it's beautiful coin cleaned or not. Personally, I'll forgive a lot in an old, raw coin with rainbow toning if the price is right.
Lincoln Cent Lover!
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3994 Posts
 Posted 05/27/2020  10:28 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add fenton to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
This type of toning isn't that unusual. Here's an MS-66 (*) from NGC, different date obviously, that I saw for sale.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1265 Posts
 Posted 05/29/2020  10:33 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Willburton to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for the responses guys. The rim did intrigue me upon purchase. I've never seen a matte proof in hand and the 16 seems hard to identify. Those spots are a drawback but still a well struck 1916!
Valued Member
United States
219 Posts
 Posted 06/08/2020  2:14 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Fury to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice strike. Don't find many of those much.
Happy collecting!
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 16 / Views: 597Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 1.2 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05