Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1920 Philadelphia Off-Center Wheatback Lincoln Cent

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 6 / Views: 245Next Topic  

United States
2 Posts
 Posted 05/27/2020  11:01 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Yubah to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hi, new here, I just started coin collecting a few months ago and learning more about what I should be trying to spot. Today in the parking lot at Walmart I found a 1920 penny with no mintmark (I assume Philadelphia) and noticed the face is off center.

I am curious what the value of it may be and to know more about the error itself. Also, unrelated, but I have already a 1965 penny where the words "In God We Trust" have no gap at the top between the rim. They seem to be melded into the rim itself, especially the top of the "W" in "We" at 12 o'clock. I haven't been able to find much about this error, if it is an error, on the internet and would like to know more.

I appreciate anybody lending insight and your honest & educated opinions, thank you!

Pillar of the Community
United States
1725 Posts
 Posted 05/27/2020  11:08 pm  Show Profile   Check SilverCents's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add SilverCents to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Not off center. This is a misaligned die, otherwise known as MAD. Because it's an earlier wheatie, I would give it a price tag of a dollar or so.

Relating to the 1965 you mentioned, two things. Die Deterioration Doubling and simple wear of the die. Not worth anything.
"Life is like a box of chocolates, you never know what you're gonna get." - Forrest Gump

Error Want List (Important): http://goccf.com/t/373255
Best DDO Found CRHing: http://goccf.com/t/375247#3218314
Pillar of the Community
United States
3257 Posts
 Posted 05/28/2020  01:27 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Greasy Fingers to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
to CCF...If you want to get a lot of information quickly...Type into the search box CoopHome or always click on any blue lettering words or phrases you find here in comments

Edited: forgot to add...good luck on future finds, have fun....
Edited by Greasy Fingers
05/28/2020 01:28 am
United States
2 Posts
 Posted 05/28/2020  11:21 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Yubah to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice to meet you! Thanks for the info, I think I see now, so a MAD is when only one side is off? It would be off center only if the front AND the back were off. So that's really neat then, I guess I found my first one didn't I?
Pillar of the Community
United States
1725 Posts
 Posted 05/28/2020  12:06 pm  Show Profile   Check SilverCents's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add SilverCents to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Correct Yubah, nice job!
"Life is like a box of chocolates, you never know what you're gonna get." - Forrest Gump

Error Want List (Important): http://goccf.com/t/373255
Best DDO Found CRHing: http://goccf.com/t/375247#3218314
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
44938 Posts
 Posted 05/28/2020  12:20 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Correct. Just one side affected. These are common, but if the devices fall over the edge then they are collectable:

Note the information on the full image? Die mis-alignment is the cause for this. The hammer die is adjustable, the anvil die is not. So if the centering of the hammer die isn't correct you will see examples like these:

You can often see the weakness also on the reverse opposite side of the coin because the die is out of center, the opposite devices can be weak.

Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
Learn More...
United States
87429 Posts
  Previous TopicReplies: 6 / Views: 245Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 1.25 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05