Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Need Help Identifying Modern Ancient Forgeries, Pleas And Thank You.

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 11 / Views: 362Next Topic  
United States
14 Posts
 Posted 05/28/2020  7:07 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add ancientnewb to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Well I'm new to ancient coins. And I need help. I Have collected u.s. coins for quite some time and got bored. I ended up purchasing many hundreds of dollars worth of coins on eBay a nieve mistake without doing research first. The seller gaurentees all items so I had no worries till I started my research. That's how I found this sight.
And came across the list of fake eBay sellers. The person that I bought from is on this list. I found that the vaspasian coin pictured was a known forgerie. And the two raja lakhana udayaditya coins came separate and are identical. I even found the genuine coin that these were cast from on vcoins, unless that one is a fake too. But my question is are any of these coins in the pictures authentic, they are made of silver and the hemiobols look real here are the pictures. I have done lots of research on the history and rulers of these coins and feel informed on what they are supposed to be. I also have weights for most of them from the post
1.The udayaditya coins are around 2.5 grams and I have 3 identical which leads to fake
2.The vaspasian,, Titus and Domitian 2.8 grams know forgery on forgerynetwork.com
3.The sinitruces or gorteze coin is 3.39 grams unsure of authenticity
4. The phillip II with head of Apollo on front and a chariot on reverse is 3.1 grams the only similar one I can find is a gold stater
5.The shapur II is 2.25 grams unsure of authenticity
6. The first hemiobol..I can't find another and am unsure about it. looks like the head of sues and head of Alexander maybe cappadocia? It weighs .54 grams
7. The second hemi is Cyprus, salamis, euelthon, rams head blank back.36 grams unsure of authenticity neat coin if it's real 500bc I hope this one is not fake.
8. Third hemi is kyzikos Musial and .68 grams. Unsure
9. Is Darius II coin with fire alter behind bust 3.1 grams. Unsure probably fake
10. Menander I ? Not received yet 2.5 grams probably a fake
11. Domitian? Not received yet probably fake
12. Coin glass pendant with extremely rare Bactrian coins. Wrong metal looks like brass or bronze. Probably fake. Any help would be appreciated. I am new at this and am quite frustrated. Especially since I spent a lot of $$ . The reason for this post is to see if any are authentic especially the hemis I like them a lot. thank you in advance you guys are awesome. Ps sorry for the long post. I hope everything is right. I read the rules

Pillar of the Community
United States
4977 Posts
 Posted 05/28/2020  7:50 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bob L to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Welcome, ancientnewb.

Sadly you've got a lot of stinkers here. Some, we've seen here before, like the Parthians, which are known fakes. See page one of this thread, for example: http://goccf.com/t/364966&whichpage=1

The only four that may be genuine are the AR's at top and the elephant headdress (Demetrios?) AR lower in your pics. But I strongly suspect that both the Euelthon (Salamis) fraction and the Demetrios are bogus.

The Gela litra to the left of the Euelthon and the Kyzikos fraction to its right may be genuine. But they seem to have an identically textured, odd surface - at least that how it appears in the pics. (Hard to see without close-up's) Makes me suspicious about them too.

Sorry!
Pillar of the Community
United States
4977 Posts
 Posted 05/28/2020  8:03 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bob L to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Well, just confirmed the Gela is fake. Here's yours, as compared to one I spotted on Ebay. Despite the chipped edge, there is enough correspondence between the shapes to confirm they are casts from the same mold.

Learn More...
United States
23037 Posts
 Posted 05/28/2020  8:08 pm  Show Profile   Check echizento's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add echizento to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
to the community

The Shapur II coin looks like it I genuine, the rest are iffy. It's best to post only one or two coins per thread.
Pillar of the Community
United States
979 Posts
 Posted 05/28/2020  8:09 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Kushanshah to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nobody is perfect. Even the most notorious fakeseller might be off his game and accidentally offer a genuine coin for sale...
Edited by Kushanshah
05/28/2020 8:27 pm
Learn More...
United States
16367 Posts
 Posted 05/28/2020  9:08 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I am new at this and am quite frustrated. Especially since I spent a lot of $$.

First welcome to CCF. Second, know that we are here to help. It is easy to get discouraged when you end up with fakes. You should try to return as many of these as you can. When that is completed, try looking at sellers on vcoins rather than ebay. That isn't a guarantee of avoiding fakes, but it at least gives you a good shot. I'm not saying that everything on ebay is fake, but there is a lot of bad stuff there. Feel free to post a link to a specific coin of interest before you bid or purchase your next coins--I don't expect that anyone here will try to swoop in and outbid you.
"If you climb a good tree, you get a push."
-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz

United States
14 Posts
 Posted 05/28/2020  10:19 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ancientnewb to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Shoot, I agree with all of you, I did come across the fake parthians, but did not know for sure till you confirmed it, I suspected they were all fake, but I was hoping the small ones were not. I see the same markings in your picture, On the gela, the salamis seems like it has file or machine markings. sorry this was my first post for years I don't even write posts on fb. I will remember not to overwhelm everyone with this many pics again. I have been contacting the seller and plan on getting a refund, I have not decided weather or not to be a thorn in his side because I know he knowingly sells fakes and takes advantage of people. I did a lot of research on him too. I already told my wife I am reinvesting in authentic pieces :) I have already been checking the eBay section out. Thank you everyone for your help it is truly amazing that you are there for strangers
United States
14 Posts
 Posted 05/28/2020  10:43 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ancientnewb to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I thought eBay only allowed genuine items. Out of the 40 lots I purchased in the past couple of months 6 lots were genuine because of this learned only to buy from trustworthy sellers and I am pretty sure I learned how to find them. Before this I just thought because someone has 100% positive feedback on eBay, it means he must sell genuine items, that thought is gone.
Learn More...
United States
23037 Posts
 Posted 05/28/2020  10:48 pm  Show Profile   Check echizento's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add echizento to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I highly recommend that you check out the section here titled Books, Downloads, and websites. There you will find information about all areas on ancient coin collecting.

We are here also to help, so don't be afraid to ask questions.
Learn More...
United States
16367 Posts
 Posted 05/29/2020  06:32 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I thought eBay only allowed genuine items.

I believe that this is the policy, but they choose not to police ancient coins like they do other categories of numismatics.
"If you climb a good tree, you get a push."
-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz

Learn More...
United States
87665 Posts
United States
14 Posts
 Posted 05/29/2020  6:55 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ancientnewb to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you for welcoming me everyone! It's nice of you.
  Previous TopicReplies: 11 / Views: 362Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.62 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05