Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

What To Do With Sub-Par Uncirculated And Proof Coins

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 6 / Views: 368Next Topic  
Valued Member

United States
72 Posts
 Posted 06/03/2020  08:03 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Hidalgo to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I recently purchased a set of what was advertised as "uncirculated and proof" Lincoln Memorial cents. When I received the set, the coins overall, were eye-appealing. However, on closer inspection, many of the proof Lincolns had fingerprints on them and some of the uncirculated cents were brownish in tone.

I have been purchasing replacements because I want a set that I can treasure for years. I am wondering what I should do with the cents I no longer want. Would there be anyone who would want to buy these coins? Should I release them into circulation? Any recommendations?
Edited by Hidalgo
06/03/2020 1:42 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
1988 Posts
 Posted 06/03/2020  08:18 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add hfjacinto to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
This is what I do (with pictures).

For all my coins I put the best in an album.

If I have enough to start another, I will put them in a folder.

If I don't have enough but its a set that I would like to complete I store them in 2 by 2, but only the 2nd best.

Anything (i guess the 3rds of each coin) that is not in the Album, folder or in a 2 by 2, I give them away, sell them or spend them.

This is what I do, many people hoard all the coins, but I don't need more than 2 sets of each coin (well I only need 1 set, but some coins I like more than others).
Learn More...
United States
16373 Posts
 Posted 06/03/2020  12:48 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Should I release them into circulation?

Yes this. Let your extras spark someone else's interest in the hobby.
"If you climb a good tree, you get a push."
-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
715 Posts
 Posted 06/03/2020  1:13 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add bd251 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I had some similar problem proofs I got in a lot a few years ago and ended up releasing them into circulation. I figured someone would enjoy finding them. I know I would be excited to find a proof in my change even if it was beat up.

Also, lustrous brown copper is beautiful!
Valued Member
United States
297 Posts
 Posted 06/03/2020  1:31 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add bzookaj to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Donate to a coin club to raffle/give away for kids.
Valued Member
United States
244 Posts
 Posted 06/03/2020  9:52 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mikem007 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I was stuffing them into the walls of my house for somebody else to find 100 years from now. However, in the recent two years I spend them. I've had several cashiers remark on how new my coins look. I'm sure somebody will enjoy finding them.
Learn More...
United States
87706 Posts
  Previous TopicReplies: 6 / Views: 368Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.45 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05