Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1976 D LMC - Strange Patina -Help

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 7 / Views: 243Next Topic  
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
99 Posts
 Posted 06/06/2020  02:33 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add jpgrajek to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I have run across several LMC with this strange "Shine" to the coin. I used a camera lens cloth and gave it the once over but the shine did not diminish at all. The third photo shows an area when the shine is not present. Is this a known technique used for some reason?

Thanks

Valued Member
United States
138 Posts
 Posted 06/06/2020  03:16 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add That coin dude to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Coin was polished probably.
Simply just a friendly coin dude that you can hug.

I collect mainly foreign coins, but have more knowledge on US coinage.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
48691 Posts
 Posted 06/06/2020  10:13 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Perhaps the coin was lacquered at one point? That spot looks like some sort of ED.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1006 Posts
 Posted 06/06/2020  10:37 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ijn1944 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
A test. Take an average circulated, brown, 'early' Lincoln memorial cent--maybe mid-60s to early 70s. Must be brown, no mint luster. Rub both sides briskly (fast, with pressure) on a triple or quadruple folded cloth--at least 20 seconds each side in a oval pattern. Now look at the coin--chances are good that the cent will have a somewhat glossy sheen to it. This is a test, and a test only. Choose a cent you're not interested in saving.

Again, only a test. NOT recommended for collector coins.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
581 Posts
 Posted 06/06/2020  11:44 am  Show Profile   Check JohnWayne007's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add JohnWayne007 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
When I first got into collecting I familiarized myself with what cleaned coins looked like by doing an experiment on different "cleaning" techniques and I'máaround 90% certain that this was cleaned with a tooth brush and dove hand soap.

During my experiment I used random household cleaners and soaps on junk small cents that had different effects, but this one stands out like the dove soap and tooth brush effect, where you have it circled is due to the person missing that spot, but 9x out of 10 the purplish/blue hue is from Hot water and Dove soap IMO.

Long story short, it was cleaned at one point.
They say coin roll hunting is like a box of chocolates, you never know what your gonna get.... I think it went something like that, I was too busy looking at coins.

This is my very first error coin I found that got me hooked.
- 1989 Belize 25 Cent's with a Doubled Die Reverse http://goccf.com/t/362747
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
44938 Posts
 Posted 06/06/2020  1:36 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It could be a carbon spot. Not a plus for a coin. Just a distraction to the coin. As eye appealing as acne. Not a keeper unless your saving copper coins.
Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
99 Posts
 Posted 06/06/2020  4:09 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jpgrajek to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks All! I really appreciateit.

Quote:
That Coin Dude
I agree and then I think they tried Lacquered like Coinfrog said.

Quote:
Perhaps the coin was lacquered at one point? That spot looks like some sort of ED.
I am thinking the same thing. I tried acetone and a regular cloth and it did not affect the shine. It actually felt rough.

Quote:
A test. Take an average circulated, brown, 'early' Lincoln memorial cent
I did your test and it does have a shine just not nearly as much as this coin. Rubbing a coin like you suggested is not easy.

Quote:
When I first got into collecting I familiarized myself with what cleaned coins looked like
Good idea, I have no shortage of coins to try this with.

Quote:
As eye appealing as acne.
I do keep all my copper pennies. I was surprised more collectors do not.

Pillar of the Community
United States
2799 Posts
 Posted 06/06/2020  5:25 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add merclover to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
you said:

Quote:
I used a camera lens cloth and gave it the once over

Don't do that.
Cleaning destroys value with coins.

ša va bien aller
  Previous TopicReplies: 7 / Views: 243Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.47 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05