Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

How Often Do Cleaned Coins Make Straight Grades?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 7 / Views: 356Next Topic  

United States
14 Posts
 Posted 06/06/2020  05:23 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Kozmo70 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
How often do major grading companies like PCGS or NGC put a cleaned coin in a straight grade holder? Is this common especially with tough date Morgan dollars? Thanks I'm advance for input and insight.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4018 Posts
 Posted 06/06/2020  08:00 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add fenton to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Depends on the grade and the severity of the cleaning. If an AU coin has been lightly wiped, my experience is it will clean grade most of the time. If a BU coin has been dipped, it will always clean grade. If a BU coin has been wiped, it will almost always get detailed because there is no way to excuse away the marks. If a circulated coin has been dipped, it will almost always get detailed because the color can't be explained. After a retoning, most circulated coins will clean grade assuming the color looks natural.

Harshly cleaned coins will almost always get detailed. An exception is old U.S. silver, pre 1840. I've seen a lot of really badly cleaned coins in straight holders.
Edited by fenton
06/06/2020 08:01 am
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
13639 Posts
 Posted 06/06/2020  08:25 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add T-BOP to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I would say It all depends on who's doing the grading at any one time . Not talking about what TPG but the actual people grading the coin . Their mood that day ,tired,
headache ,or just discussed with their job .
Also as fenton pointed out it depends how badly the coin was cleaned or , cleaned a long time ago toned back nicely and market acceptable .
Proud Member of The Black Sheep Squadron !
Valued Member
Canada
490 Posts
 Posted 06/06/2020  10:34 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Numis-Northerner to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Let's just say the rarer the coin, the more eager they are to straight grade.
United States
14 Posts
 Posted 06/06/2020  10:44 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Kozmo70 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for the insight. I have been working on a complete date and mint mark set of Morgan's and I have to settle for AU grades in some of the mints and years. Overall, I feel like they have nice eye appeal, but I am critical on grading and have some AU-53 coins to me look cleaned but to PCGS and others they are fine.
Valued Member
United States
198 Posts
 Posted 06/06/2020  12:19 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JasonKflo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
also one thing with Morgans to keep in mind is the luster from the mint can vary from dull to Greasy to Satin to proof like
Valued Member
United States
378 Posts
 Posted 06/06/2020  1:18 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add suipakpaikungfu to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm with fenton on this, couldn't have said it better.
Also Jason.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1448 Posts
 Posted 06/06/2020  5:38 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add fortcollins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I agree with @fenton's thorough analysis and the other upthread comments.

I'll add that it also depends on the series, and comparative availability of original high grade examples. The minnows - silver trimes and fish scales - commonly get a pass unless the cleaning is harsh.

Larger coins with noticeable fields, such as quarters, halves, and dollars, don't get that much leeway.

More recent series with high survivorship of original high grade examples (such as almost all 20th Century half dollars) are regularly detailed with almost any cleaning.
  Previous TopicReplies: 7 / Views: 356Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.78 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05