Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1882 S, Possible New VAM.

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
United States
1219 Posts
 Posted 11/11/2008  10:52 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add MorgansRmine to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
This one is on it's way to Mr. VanAllen. At first glance VAM 14 or 18. Entire date doubled. Same obverse die used on both Vams. On reverse, three die gouges around eagles right leg. VAM 14, but not quite. 14 also has die file lines around In God We Trust. Not this one, smooth as a babies butt. Die file lines just don't disappear, so hopefully a new VAM or a revision.

Found this small die gouge left of Morgans initial, not sure if it's on other VAM 14s or not.

United States
21 Posts
 Posted 11/11/2008  3:32 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add VAMit to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Well you should know by now I'm quick to say new VAM LOL, so, I hope its a new VAM!
Are you thinking early die VAM 14? Before there was even anything to file out?
Beautiful coin by the way and great pictures!
Valued Member
United States
74 Posts
 Posted 11/11/2008  7:51 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Alex Swanson to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I love the doubling on the date! VAMs are so addicting.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2842 Posts
 Posted 11/11/2008  10:33 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add morgans dad to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
MorgansRmine, This is a very nice coin and fine details throughout.I see @ VAMWORLD the attributes are as you stated a very possible if not definate VAM 14.I also do not know if the gouge at the initial are on other VAM 14's, however I see in your pictures on the MOTTO LETTERS appears to be horizontal lines or indents going across the words GOD WE TRUST, perhaps this is an EDS, like one of the first, if not the first, and what we see is some of the first polishing marks on that die before things had gotten worse and this possibly is the reason there are no heavy die file lines?
I am not an expert however is this not possible?
I know you know your "morgans" and wish you the best with sending this coin to the "Father of Vams",GOOD LUCK, BE WELL...
Valued Member
United States
295 Posts
 Posted 12/20/2008  8:10 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JonS.7070 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I just posted a coin that I have that I had quetsions on before I saw this post. It has all the same markers as this one. Did you receive any info about your coin?
Pillar of the Community
United States
1219 Posts
 Posted 12/21/2008  07:08 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add MorgansRmine to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Not yet Jon, I also sent 9 other coins with this one so it may take a while. Does yours have the polish lines all around In God We Trust ?
Pillar of the Community
United States
2125 Posts
 Posted 12/21/2008  1:48 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add trdhrdr007 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
How do you send coins to Mr. VanAllen & how much does he charge?
Valued Member
United States
295 Posts
 Posted 12/21/2008  2:35 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JonS.7070 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
No it does not have any polish lines around in god we trust. I will try to take a few better pictures. I wish I had a microscope. These pics are all of the same coin. It also has the very small die chip on the right hand side of the designers initials but I am not able to image it.

Pillar of the Community
United States
2842 Posts
 Posted 01/03/2009  01:53 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add morgans dad to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
MorgansRmine, what ever happened to this coin? any answers? Mike...
Pillar of the Community
United States
1219 Posts
 Posted 01/03/2009  10:10 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add MorgansRmine to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Mike, LVA had requested no coins be sent for a couple of months while he worked on some new supplements, so I imagine he was flooded once he started accepting them again. I have noticed on Vamworld a few of the guys have started to receive theirs back, so maybe soon.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2842 Posts
 Posted 01/03/2009  7:59 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add morgans dad to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Best wishes, Mike...
Pillar of the Community
Australia
1011 Posts
 Posted 01/12/2009  11:59 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add nuggethill to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Can you keep the forum posted on the findings thanks C J
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 1.98 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05