Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

I Coulda, I Shoulda, But I Didn't !

First page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 26 / Views: 862Next Topic
Page: of 2
Valued Member
United States
360 Posts
 Posted 06/29/2020  10:15 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Wideglide to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Thinking back, I would have been happy keeping "ALL" that silver I had in my pockets after collection day from my paper-route

I also had a paper route in the early '70s, when there was still a lot of silver in circulation. I had two ½ gallon whiskey bottles filled with silver dimes, many of them Mercury's. Being the stupid kid that I was, sold them off in the mid '70's at 2 to 1, without even the foresight to get a Red Book and go through them for the better dates and grades.
Edited by Wideglide
06/29/2020 10:16 pm
Bedrock of the Community
United States
16630 Posts
 Posted 06/29/2020  10:53 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Conder101 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
In 66 when I first got interested in coins, Uncirculated Conder tokens were 50 cents to a dollar each. I didn't buy any because I didn't really know about them.

In 72 when I actively started collecting Conder tokens in Unc were $2, Mint red $3, but the reference book was virtually unobtainable and over $200 if you could find one. So I didn't buy them.

In 1992 when I started collecting the Conder tokens reprints had brought the book down to about $100, and the MS Conder tokens were now $20. I did start buying was only interested in one per county so I didn't get too many of them.

In 1997 I branched out into the ones actually issued by merchants for circulation. MS pieces were running $40.

Today there have been four more rounds of reprints of the book (which are STILL hard to get), a collectors society has formed, and low MS pieces, for common ones, are around $200.
Gary Schmidt
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
New Zealand
919 Posts
 Posted 06/30/2020  03:03 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Princetane to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
In 1999 and 2000 I bought the New Zealand Uncirculated coin sets for $35 each. I stupidly sold them in 2003 for $40 each (They were the only part of my coin collection that was not stolen in 2001).

Now the 1999 is scrace at $90 and the 2000 set is the rarest of the modern era at $250!
Loving Halfcrowns. British and Commonwealth coins 1750 - 1950 and anything Kiwi.
If it's round, shiny and silvery I will love it.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
5259 Posts
 Posted 06/30/2020  03:33 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add westernsky to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Too many to count but here's a couple...

——- In the early 70's I passed on many $20 Saints at 70$ each.

——- Sets of large bills ($1, $5, $10 & $20) in Unc for less than 50$ in the 1960's.

——- BU "O" mint dollars (Mostly 98, 99, 00, 01, 02 and 04) in the early 60's for less than 2$ each.

(We also need a thread on the good buys we did make! )

Valued Member
Canada
477 Posts
 Posted 06/30/2020  2:44 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Cdncoins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
My 90+ year old neighbour has a ton of these stories from when he worked at a bank for 40 years.

Besides not buying more bullion when the prices were lower, I had an opportunity in grade school to buy a penny struck on a dime blank for $1 from a classmate. I passed.
Pillar of the Community
United States
633 Posts
 Posted 06/30/2020  7:24 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add MrPink2018 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
i shoulda stuck with buying gold buffalos... coulda... shoulda... but didn't....
Pillar of the Community
Canada
2882 Posts
 Posted 06/30/2020  7:35 pm  Show Profile   Check silverwolf's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add silverwolf to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
i can remember being able to buy 1 ounce gold bars for 280$, and me thinking no thanks... that's too much, the price is going to come back down,...wow!! big miss.. But in my defense had I bought it at 280$ I probably would have unloaded way before today's high's...
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
48724 Posts
 Posted 06/30/2020  7:55 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
In the late 1990s, in a big swap, I ended up with a 1920-S $10 Indian in a PCGS 55 holder, which I valued then at $9K. Sold it a few years later at $11.5K, thought I had done pretty well.

Well D'oh.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
16630 Posts
 Posted 07/01/2020  03:39 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Conder101 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
——- In the early 70's I passed on many $20 Saints at $70 each

I remember those days. But I didn't have the $70.
Gary Schmidt
Pillar of the Community
United States
1021 Posts
 Posted Today 3H 43M ago  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Big-Kingdom to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'd say my white whale is the 1995W silver eagle. I wished I'd had the money to have bought the anniversay gold coin set in 1995 to get that silver eagle but couldn't afford it. Even the gold coins would have netted a nice profit lol.

Then there's the 2000 cheerios sac dollar. I wish I would have tried a heck of a lot harder to get one from a box of cereal but I didn't.

Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
13587 Posts
 Posted Today 1H 1M ago  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add T-BOP to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Then there's the 2000 cheerios sac dollar. I wish I would have tried a heck of a lot harder to get one from a box of cereal but I didn't.

What! Not a fan of Cheerios ?
Proud Member of The Black Sheep Squadron !
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 26 / Views: 862Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.5 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05