Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1921 Peace Dollar Strikes

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 9 / Views: 539Next Topic  
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
337 Posts
 Posted 07/02/2020  6:03 pm Show Profile   Check Lancek's eBay Listings Bookmark this topic Add Lancek to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Not a coin to grade, but just a general grading question specific to that year.

I'm looking on Ebay for a high AU low MS slabbed coin. I see all the major TPGs giving 61, 62, 63 to what looks like a weakly struck coins. And maybe only a 55-58 when comparing them to PCGS photograde. But that is for all years of Peace dollars. Not just 21s.

So being the first year, and "high relief" are they know for weaker strikes? If so, do the TPGs take that into consideration when grading that year?
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
337 Posts
Pillar of the Community
Canada
3556 Posts
 Posted 07/02/2020  7:46 pm  Show Profile   Check Pacificoin's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Pacificoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Strike and grade are two totally different issues .
A well struck, truly Unc 1921 Peace dollar is a Prize .
Notorious for being weakly struck and somewhat poor
Lustre and eye appeal on most of the issue .
Bedrock of the Community
Australia
17629 Posts
 Posted 07/02/2020  8:15 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
With Peace dollars my priority is for
sharpest strike possible above highest grade,
within the budget.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1616 Posts
 Posted 07/02/2020  9:37 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add fortcollins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I agree with @Pacificoin and @sel_69l. Let me add one thought.

Quite a few of the Peace dollars also have heavy bag marks in locations that really hurt eye appeal. They may not have exceptionally deep bag marks or enough bag marks to be detailed or to receive 60-61-62 grades, but eye appeal is a key factor. Look for the coin that makes you go "wow!" They exist, but are tough to find.
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
337 Posts
 Posted 07/03/2020  2:19 pm  Show Profile   Check Lancek's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Lancek to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
From Wikipedia "A coin's grade is generally determined by five criteria: strike, preservation, luster, color, and attractiveness." So I'm not sure how strike and grade can be "two totally different issues." I always thought strike was a big part of the grade. Otherwise wouldn't most GSA Morgans be MS 70s? Most were not in circulation, not cleaned, no wear, so why are some a 63, some 66. But almost never a 70. Yet ever coin coming out of the mint today is a 69 to 70. Because todays equipment produces a stronger strike.

Or am I completely off base on that?
Pillar of the Community
United States
1800 Posts
 Posted 07/03/2020  3:14 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Alpha2814 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The Wikipedia article on coin grading does say that, but you have to drill down to one of the cited references to see what it means there. The other reference doesn't mention strike at all, so it doesn't really belong on that statement.

This from the reference (it's archived on the Wayback machine so I can't link it directly here) -- it's reference #2 in the article, from Doug Winter:

Quote:
Generally speaking, strike is not a major element in determining the grade of a coin unless it is in a series in which value is related to strike. In a series such as Mercury dimes, where a PCGS MS-66 1945 dime is worth $15 and the same coin with a full strike (designated in this series as "Full Bands") is worth $7,500, strike is a huge element. In all but a handful of circumstances, strike does not play a critical role in determining the value or United States gold coins.

Working on: Indian quarter eagles, Chinese pandas, and San Francisco tokens; upgrading my Peace dollar and US Type sets

"Fear is the enemy of will. Will is what makes you take action; fear is what stops you, and makes you weak."
-- Sinestro to (my avatar) Hal Jordan, "Green Lantern" (2011)
Bedrock of the Community
Australia
17629 Posts
 Posted 07/03/2020  11:59 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
As far as I can determine, according to the third party graders, the grade is most dependent on the amount of wear and the number and severity of dings and scratches.

Quality of strike and toning don't seem to contribute to the grade very much, and seems to be left to the opinion of the buyer or seller.
That is a pity, because such factors can have a very big influence in the perceived value of any coin.
That particularly includes Peace dollars.

Edited by sel_69l
07/04/2020 06:56 am
Pillar of the Community
United States
5321 Posts
 Posted 07/24/2020  03:49 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Jaobler to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The 1921 Peace dollar is notorious for weak strike at the center of the obverse. Liberty's hair is seldom well-detailed and a solidly-struck example is quite a prize. The lower relief introduced in 1922 improved the central striking detail.

Quality of strike in general affects eye appeal which is an important factor in grading. I'd heard that a weak strike can limit the maximum grade for most uncirculated coins. Any coin grading above MS-65 or so should not have any major striking deficiencies.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
21645 Posts
 Posted 07/24/2020  2:26 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add IndianGoldEagle to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Jaobler nailed it.
  Previous TopicReplies: 9 / Views: 539Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.65 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05