Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

One More Try.... Possible 1964 SMS Half Dollar

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 12 / Views: 443Next Topic  
Valued Member
United States
106 Posts
 Posted 07/04/2020  12:38 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add dbeck22 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I know that the chance is small but its worth a shot.

The edges are very clean and crisp compared to a 1969 half dollar. There are numerous polishing marks. And all three die markers are clearly there.

The tear drop piece of metal on the 4 of the date on the obverse as well as the 2 on the reverse. this is from Heritage Auctions website....

In the case of the 1964 SMS Kennedy halves (save for #11 in the roster below, possibly from a different die state), the die polishing is multidirectional (it is more uniform on the 1964 SMS Lincoln cents, for example), and all 1964 SMS half dollars show various die markers that identify a single die pair. Die Markers: Reverse. An especially heavy die polishing line runs from the bottom right tip of the small middle serif in (O)F to A(MERICA). Another heavy die polishing line runs from the lower-right tip of the small lower serif of the F in HALF to the rim near the D in DOLLAR. Obverse. A tiny teardrop-shaped (or apostrophe-shaped) lump of metal hangs down from the underside of the crosslet on the 4, just right of the intersection with the upright of that digit.

Pillar of the Community
United States
4232 Posts
 Posted 07/04/2020  1:12 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Jim0815 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Unfortunately it is a business strike. The teardrop you are seeing on the 4 is from a ding it took. The teardrop marker is on the opposite side on the far right bottom horizontal bar Of the 4.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2228 Posts
 Posted 07/04/2020  1:44 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add keith12 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I love how everyone that finds a nice looking coin from 1964 thinks it must be from a SMS. Correct if I'm wrong but I think there are only 12 of those known
Pillar of the Community
United States
6425 Posts
 Posted 07/04/2020  1:49 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Earle42 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The first thing I saw when looking at the "teardrop." Yours is a ding with sharp edges instead of the smooth looking teardrop, and, as Jim0815 has already said, your mark is on the wrong side of the 4.

The only way to know is to do research, keep looking, and keep asking questions.
- When I value " being right" more than what IS right, I am then right...a fool.
- How much squash could a Sasquatch squash if a Sasquatch would squash squash?
- Prosp long and liver.
Edited by Earle42
07/04/2020 1:51 pm
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
45722 Posts
 Posted 07/04/2020  1:50 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
They are thinking "big bucks". That is what the youtube videos are luring new coin collectors in with. How often are coins you find in circulation do you find out are worth big money. Probably maybe less than one in ten thousand. But that is what they are think they are finding and can find in the pocket change. (it doesn't work that way in the real world) If it did, we would be the ones finding the big money coins, but they are very few and far in between.
Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2149 Posts
 Posted 07/05/2020  4:24 pm  Show Profile   Check Yokozuna's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Yokozuna to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Here's where the die marker on the 4 should be. All known 1964 SMS Kennedy half dollars have this marker.

"Shine, shine, a Roosevelt dime
All the way to Baltimore and running out of time" - Tom Waits 'Clap Hands'

Pillar of the Community
United States
1773 Posts
 Posted 07/05/2020  5:24 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Alpha2814 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
First thing I noticed was the "D" mint mark. Instant business strike.
Working on: Indian quarter eagles, Chinese pandas, and San Francisco tokens; upgrading my Peace dollar and US Type sets

"Fear is the enemy of will. Will is what makes you take action; fear is what stops you, and makes you weak."
-- Sinestro to (my avatar) Hal Jordan, "Green Lantern" (2011)
Bedrock of the Community
United States
16795 Posts
 Posted 07/06/2020  11:46 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Conder101 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That tear drop "dangle" can also be found on business strikes, so it is NOT conclusive evidence for a SMS coin either. It's a good starting point, but there have to be other markers present as well. and there is always the chance that the sms dies may have been used to strike business strikes as well. The cent reverse has shown up on business strikes.
Gary Schmidt
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
45722 Posts
 Posted 07/07/2020  1:19 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
My thought on this is that the fresh VEDS die were used for the SMS. But they later used them for business strike regular strike coins as well. (We seen examples of this on the SMS cents markers that match business strike coin, but in a later die state)
Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays

Bedrock of the Community
United States
16795 Posts
 Posted 07/08/2020  12:00 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Conder101 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Something I don't understand about the SMS coins is that although the dies are sharp and new, why do the all show heavy liniar die polish lines? You would think they would use a much finer grit. Some of the lines are pretty heavy. Then why linear? Final polishing is done with very fine grit on a rotating lap. And usually when you do see polihing lines they tend to run in many directions not all in the same direction and basically top to bottom. I'm wondering if that was deliberate to try and create a "special finish".
Gary Schmidt
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
45722 Posts
 Posted 07/09/2020  4:37 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That was what I was thinking. What is the SMS process really. I know it is softer in appearance then the proof and the Accented hair halves:

Richard S. Cooper

Pillar of the Community
Canada
610 Posts
 Posted 07/09/2020  5:12 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Numis-Northerner to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
.That is what the youtube videos are luring new coin collectors in with.

For what it's worth, I find alot of those channels do try to teach stuff but alot of the people who watch them just might not be interested in the idea of collecting, but instead the idea of finding something worth money.

And I mean it does occasionally happen, I remember speaking with someone on here who found a 1969 S DDO-001 in a roll. So it does happen, but I do agree that the best way to go about it is make sure you actually enjoy searching and studying coins, and keep in mind that the major various and such that will make you $100s or $1000s are exceedingly rare and it's likely you will not find one, so make sure you're gonna be enjoying yourself regardless.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
45722 Posts
 Posted 07/09/2020  5:40 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Most of the time, if they find one of the coins from that year, they go gaga thinking it is the most rare one. Then we have the job of letting them down.
Richard S. Cooper

Previous TopicReplies: 12 / Views: 443Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.7 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05