Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Wow!! This Is 2 Special Error Modern US Coins!

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 11 / Views: 416Next Topic  
United States
13 Posts
 Posted 07/05/2020  8:47 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Joonhokim95 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hello everyone!

I discovered odd error with HUGE date and "In God We Trust" in 1983-P Washington quarter today! It was so interesting coin! It is so amazing and possible to be valuable but I found another similar 1 coin but I believe it must be unique and rare error quarter!

Also, I found 1980-D penny with multiple lines with copper printed something like that, but I don't know what it was called. I believe it was odd and not seen it before. I want to share with this community for your opinions about these coins.

THANK YOU!

United States
13 Posts
 Posted 07/05/2020  8:56 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Joonhokim95 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
This is new post with 2 photos!
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1496 Posts
 Posted 07/05/2020  9:25 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add fortcollins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
First,

The 1983-P quarter was struck from heavily worn dies. Because of production demands and a booming economy, the mints worked dies well past their useful life during this era. As dies wear, they deteriorate. This tends to result in weakly struck coins with metal flow toward the rims and distorted lettering. I believe that is what you are seeing on your quarter. Notice the "ripples" to the left of Washington's portrait, where the metal flow is visible.

The 1980-D cent could be one of two things. On a bronze cent, it could be what is called a "woodie," where the alloy was mixed improperly. More likely, given the late date of the coin, the lines are "roller lines," caused when the sheets of bronze alloy were rolled to the thickness required for punching blanks. It isn't a valuable coin, but it is worth keeping because of the educational value in learning the minting process.

Just a suggestion. When you post coins, it is helpful to post one coin per topic, and to post obverse and reverse photos of each coin. Sometimes there are clues to what is happening that can be figured our more easily with both photos.

Others will be along and weigh in on your coins.

Again, welcome!
Pillar of the Community
United States
3337 Posts
 Posted 07/05/2020  9:43 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Greasy Fingers to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
As far as your cent goes..yes those are roller lines...I call them modern woodies and try to collect one from each year and mint, however alone they have no additional value. But I like them. As far as the quarter, Yes fortcollins know his stuff therefore I must agree.

to CCF, good luck on future finds, have fun and keep asking any and all questions you might have....

United States
13 Posts
 Posted 07/05/2020  10:00 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Joonhokim95 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Helllo,

Thank you for sharing your knowledge with me!
Pillar of the Community
United States
3181 Posts
 Posted 07/06/2020  02:20 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add merclover to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
On the cent, I believe the lines are called Feeder Finger lines, produced in the final stages of the minting process (correct, coop?).

And yes, it is most helpful limiting your posts to one coin per thread. That helps us to better help you.

to the CFF! Please stick around and join us!
ša va bien aller
Edited by merclover
07/06/2020 05:34 am
Pillar of the Community
United States
4212 Posts
 Posted 07/06/2020  05:08 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Jim0815 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
DDD on the quarter and as roller lines as well. Feeder lines? New one on me. Must've been thinking Feeder Finger lines or scratches.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
34683 Posts
 Posted 07/06/2020  05:40 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
to CCF. Roller lines on the cent and a worn die issue on the quarter. Neither has much if any premium,IMHO.
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 5+ Million Cents Since 1971
Pillar of the Community
United States
1477 Posts
 Posted 07/06/2020  05:59 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Petespockets55 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yes, those are roller lines on the cent.

FYI- There will be an article appearing in Errorscopes (possibly the next issue?) on roller lines written by Will Brooks. I may have to finally join CONECA to see the article.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
45633 Posts
 Posted 07/06/2020  07:06 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Pete is correct. They are rolling lines. They appear after the coins original surface disappears. In time, they wear off the coin. But they are not a woody. A woody is a poor mix of copper in the planchet. The rolling lines are topical. (They are on the surface)

The quarter looks altered.
Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
Edited by coop
07/06/2020 08:14 am
Learn More...
United States
88634 Posts
Bedrock of the Community
United States
34683 Posts
 Posted 07/06/2020  09:43 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Photos of the reverses might help.
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 5+ Million Cents Since 1971
  Previous TopicReplies: 11 / Views: 416Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.59 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05