Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

US Coin Collector In The Netherlands

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 13 / Views: 333Next Topic  

Netherlands
18 Posts
 Posted 07/06/2020  11:59 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add ff4266 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hi guys,

Time to introduce myself. I am Alex, 32 years old and I live in the Netherlands. I am a US coin collector, particularly half dollars but other kinds as well. I also collect stuff that connects the USA with the Netherlands, like medals, stamps, etc. There is a LOT to find that connects us!

Did you know the very first US embassy in the world was founded in the Netherlands?

The city I live in houses the current US Embassy, as well as an American school and about 2500 American expats. A lot of US influence here, with American groceries as well.

I am a big fan of travelling to the USA, have been there about 12 times, including 2 internships as a firefighter in Detroit, a great experience, which I took home to be a better firefighter.

Last year I visited the Philadelphia Mint where I purchased the latest Red Book, which I use on a daily basis to check out all kinds of information and learn more and more on the rich US coin history.

So, right now I am focussing on Kennedy halves, proofs, SMS types and rare types, like the 2017 Enhanced Uncirculated(which is en route to me right now from the USA through Ebay).

I also like to find nice commemorative halves, as well as Benjamin Franklins, of which I have 1955 - 1963 in proof version. I do a lot of trading with collectors in the USA as well.

One thing I'm not very good at is grades, so I hope you guys can help me out whenever I have a question.

Any questions? Always welcome!

Regards,

Alex

Learn More...
United States
88634 Posts
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
15950 Posts
 Posted 07/06/2020  12:29 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dorado to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
To the Forum.
Pillar of the Community
United States
3337 Posts
 Posted 07/06/2020  12:56 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Greasy Fingers to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Pillar of the Community
Canada
975 Posts
 Posted 07/06/2020  2:15 pm  Show Profile   Check walk2dwater's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add walk2dwater to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hey Alex,
to CCF

I have yet to visit the Netherlands but I would love to (one of these days). I've been to Europe three times (UK, Baltics, Germany, Spain, CR & Austria) & always long to go back.

When I started collecting CDN banknotes 40 years (or more) ago, I really sucked at grading, so don't worry, takes some time (& lots of practice). At least you recognize that you need to brush up on it. The best thing you can do is try to grade some of your circulated change & try to get a feel for it. Discuss grading with anyone you may know in person & you'll be surprise how that helps too.

Anyway- good luck (& remember to participate)

Valued Member
United States
320 Posts
 Posted 07/06/2020  4:30 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add bzookaj to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Have you looked into the 2014 Kennedy half dollar special releases?
https://www.usmint.gov/news/press-r...ary-products
Netherlands
18 Posts
 Posted 07/06/2020  4:32 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ff4266 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yes, those are on my bucket list!
Pillar of the Community
United States
5057 Posts
 Posted 07/08/2020  9:45 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jack jeckel to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Valued Member
United States
194 Posts
 Posted 07/08/2020  10:13 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Lunch Money to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Welcome ff4266!

My work sometimes includes travel through the airport in Amsterdam. I usually take the train from there so I can see a bit more of the country. Netherlands is great!
Valued Member
Australia
99 Posts
 Posted 07/09/2020  03:20 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add David Graham to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:

Discuss grading with anyone you may know in person & you'll be surprise how that helps too.

I think that's why as a noob I haven't tried to actually grade any coins to date. Like learning to speak a second language by yourself. You think you're getting quite good until you speak to someone from that country and they can't understand a word you say.
Hope you master the art of grading.

Netherlands
18 Posts
 Posted 07/09/2020  03:24 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ff4266 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
A second language when you're from an English speaking country is difficult.. For the Dutch it is a lot easier. We speak Dutch, English, German. And we know a little piece of French as well. And I personally speak a little bit of Greek as well but that is uncommon..

Bedrock of the Community
United States
21181 Posts
 Posted 07/11/2020  11:33 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add IndianGoldEagle to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Welcome to CCF. Maybe you could post some threads on what it is like to look for coins in your part of Europe.
Netherlands
18 Posts
 Posted 07/11/2020  1:08 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ff4266 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Sure, no problem at all! Which subforum to use best for it?
Pillar of the Community
Canada
975 Posts
  Previous TopicReplies: 13 / Views: 333Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.83 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05