Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Iffy Looking 1921-D Morgan Dollar. Is It A Counterfeit?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 13 / Views: 649Next Topic  
Valued Member

United States
50 Posts
 Posted 07/06/2020  4:08 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add newguy22 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Here is a link to the sale on ebay. https://www.ebay.com/itm/1921-D-Mor...AOSwnAJe-kG1

I don't know, something just seemed iffy about this one. What's your guys' opinions?

Pillar of the Community
Canada
2947 Posts
 Posted 07/06/2020  4:15 pm  Show Profile   Check silverwolf's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add silverwolf to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
looks harshly cleaned and polished, to me.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
49521 Posts
 Posted 07/06/2020  4:51 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Is that a long scratch running from behind the neck down to the lowest curl?
Pillar of the Community
Canada
3406 Posts
 Posted 07/06/2020  7:04 pm  Show Profile   Check Pacificoin's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Pacificoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Cleaned polished and Lacquered .....genuine 1921 D
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1501 Posts
 Posted 07/06/2020  7:29 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add fortcollins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

I would add that this coin likely did time in a coin ring as a keychain ornament. If so, I would expect that the edge would not have the polish or coating.

[Trip down memory lane alert.] One of the banks here (I think it was our long gone First National Bank) gave silver dollar keychains away to business depositors back in the early 1960s. My mom and my dad had them for quite a while. I remember my mom having our hardware store keys on a 1921-D Morgan keychain. My dad's keychain was a 1922-D Peace dollar. (Yes, I was the coin nerd who had to know the date and mint.) Both coins were polished into oblivion. I don't remember when the bank closed, but their building was torn down a very long time ago, when they widened College Avenue. It was an impressive stone building on the corner. That was back when I was 8 or 9, and rode dinosaurs to school. [End of old guy reminiscence.]
Valued Member
United States
50 Posts
 Posted 07/06/2020  8:57 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add newguy22 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That's a very cool story Fortcollins :) As a younger coin collector, I sometimes wonder how the coins in my collection may have been used, and not just for their buying purpose. Your story is the perfect example of that. So many coins I have in my collection, both American and foreign, are pretty beat up with scratches, holes, or just extremely worn down. If only money could talk! Your holding history's secrets in the palm of your hand.
Valued Member
United States
217 Posts
 Posted 07/07/2020  08:46 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Ariette to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The coin looked funny to me too at first glance. But that seller is a reputable one that I've dealt with many times, so I'll say it's probably just harshly cleaned. I personally wouldn't pay much more than melt for something like this.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
21181 Posts
 Posted 07/07/2020  09:33 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add IndianGoldEagle to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Probably what fortcollins said. I'm thinking it hung on a key chain due to it being pretty banged up. If it were in a bolo tie it most likely would not have gotten the huge scratch but who knows.
Genuine coin, just polished and abused. Now a piece of bullion.
Learn More...
United States
88708 Posts
Pillar of the Community
United States
925 Posts
 Posted 07/07/2020  11:08 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add thecoinguy1964 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'd keep on looking, and leave this one alone!
"When a strong man, fully armed, guards his house, his possessions are safe."
- Luke 11:21
Valued Member
United States
50 Posts
 Posted 07/07/2020  4:25 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add newguy22 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@ Ariette

The dealer is a reputable coin dealer on ebay, but I have caught a couple fakes sneaking their way into their inventory every now and then. I'd say for the most part, their coins are legit, but maybe 1-3 fakes go up for sale every month or so. The last fake they had up for sale that I saw was a Panama 1934 1 Balboa, and that was just a couple weeks ago.
Valued Member
United States
217 Posts
 Posted 07/08/2020  10:35 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Ariette to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I'd say for the most part, their coins are legit, but maybe 1-3 fakes go up for sale every month or so.

That's good to know. I suppose having the occasional bad coin slip through when you're selling thousands of mostly low-value items a month is understandable. All I've bought from them have been inexpensive world coins though, so I'm not too worried.
Valued Member
United States
397 Posts
 Posted 07/11/2020  3:37 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add suipakpaikungfu to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looks fishy to me. What's it weigh? Magnetic?
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2130 Posts
 Posted 07/11/2020  6:21 pm  Show Profile   Check Yokozuna's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Yokozuna to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I think it's real, just polished. If the seller is charging around melt value for the coin, take it. If it's more than a few dollar over melt, I'd skip it.
"Shine, shine, a Roosevelt dime
All the way to Baltimore and running out of time" - Tom Waits 'Clap Hands'

Previous TopicReplies: 13 / Views: 649Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.58 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05