Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1942 Penny - Post Mint Damage?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 12 / Views: 347Next Topic  

United States
10 Posts
 Posted 07/10/2020  07:15 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Aknot to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Little history... I received 2 tins of coins from my aunt a few years ago.

About 90% of them were wheat pennies, got some 90% silver coins also but from all research worth more "melted".

Didn't think anything of this til I got the Silver bug and started hedging some of my cash into Silver... which reminded me of the coins and then the pennies.

They are in very bad shape lots of verdigris some of it to the point you can barely see anything. I segregated those as best I could and bought a cool little USB camera/scope.

Out of all the pennies the one here caught my eye. (I should weigh them).

I have only asked 1 other person about this and they stated "I believe it's just post mint damage"
Oh edited this in - The way the 9 is situated.

From what I read about PMD I dont feel that would be the case or I misread and really dont understand. Which the latter is a possibility.

Ive also done some searching and can find no mention of this type or error/damage. Of course I may not be using the right terminology.

Sorry for being long I just wanted to give some assurances I did some research before just posting this.

Oh also Ive seen tons of cleaning tips... I will poke around here a bit but any advice as it relates to verdigris would be great. Just goofing around Ive used ketchup and toilet cleaner on a few...

Thanks for looking!
Edited by Aknot
07/10/2020 07:17 am
Bedrock of the Community
United States
34824 Posts
 Posted 07/10/2020  07:47 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
to CCF. The 9 is PMD. As a general rule,never clean coins. If you do read this http://goccf.com/t/57008#447106
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 5+ Million Cents Since 1971
United States
10 Posts
 Posted 07/10/2020  08:06 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Aknot to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you for the reply and Welcome. Will check out that link.

This is difficult to formulate into a proper question without it looking like I'm questioning you... please dont take it that way its just my ignorance of PMD and coins in general and trying better to understand why it would be PMD.

In order for that 9 to be PMD wouldnt there need to be some sort of evidence/marking/ etc. of the (again dont know what it would be called) bump/mound being moved after it was stamped?

Untrained here just going off what it would take and what would be left behind if I tried to physically move something that was stamped in copper.

Thanks again.
Edited by Aknot
07/10/2020 08:13 am
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
49632 Posts
 Posted 07/10/2020  09:01 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The left side of the nine loop was simply pushed over by a random hard circulation hit. This is not uncommon.

to the CCF!
Pillar of the Community
United States
1062 Posts
 Posted 07/10/2020  09:45 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CoinTheTerm to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
this is quite common and Isa circulation hit over the 78 years this cent had been in circulation. A contact hit to the area pushed over the metal.
United States
10 Posts
 Posted 07/10/2020  09:46 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Aknot to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for the reply and welcome Coinfrog. Now to decide if I want to clean these or not. :D
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
45724 Posts
 Posted 07/10/2020  10:47 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Consider? "How could this happen at the mint?" The die could not be reshaped to alter coins like that. Also: "If this did happen, then all the coins from those dies would be found." That didn't happen. So it is PSD.
Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
Edited by coop
07/10/2020 10:48 am
Pillar of the Community
United States
1268 Posts
 Posted 07/10/2020  10:55 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ijn1944 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Post mint damage, yes. Copper is a relatively soft metal and surface details can be 'pushed' or deformed when hit.
Learn More...
United States
88857 Posts
United States
10 Posts
 Posted 07/10/2020  11:58 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Aknot to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for the welcomes and replies. Again absolutely no knowledge of this stuff and asking questions is how I easily learn to understand things.
Forum Dad
Learn More...
United States
20646 Posts
 Posted 07/10/2020  12:10 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add bobby131313 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
People new to the hobby usually ask the wrong question.

Wrong question: What caused this?

Right question: Could the minting process have caused this?

There are a billion things that can cause damage after minting.

There is a finite number of things that can happen during minting. If none of those things could have done it, then it's one of those other billion things.
United States
10 Posts
 Posted 07/10/2020  1:16 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Aknot to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Understood.. but me just looking at it says.. gee how could that have moved without showing stress/scratch/scuff marks etc.

I mean I would think being a small area it would take a precise circulation hit multiple times in the same spot or a direct one with a bit of force...

But again I know nothing about the malleability of copper (for that time or any time for that matter)so posted here.

So being able to even ask the right/proper question on something you dont fully understand (even after reading) is difficult for some people.

Again I sit here now and think gee what could have happened to make it do that? Its not like it was bent, run over by a train etc.... and I will most likely never know.
Pillar of the Community
United States
3222 Posts
 Posted 07/10/2020  8:09 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add merclover to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It never hurts to ask questions.

to the CCF!
ça va bien aller
  Previous TopicReplies: 12 / Views: 347Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.64 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05