Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1958-D Clear DDO, RPM

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 15 / Views: 432Next Topic  
United States
35 Posts
 Posted 07/12/2020  1:29 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Mrfixit505 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

Pillar of the Community
United States
881 Posts
 Posted 07/12/2020  1:31 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CoinHunter17 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Sorry, looks more like Machine Doubling to me.
to CCF!
Edited by CoinHunter17
07/12/2020 1:32 pm
United States
35 Posts
 Posted 07/12/2020  3:39 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Mrfixit505 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
What exactly is Machine Doubling what's the difference between fat and double die an RPM
Pillar of the Community
United States
881 Posts
United States
35 Posts
 Posted 07/12/2020  11:09 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Mrfixit505 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you.... So is Machine Doubling not rare or increase value like a double die? Is this coin still valuable?
Pillar of the Community
United States
3359 Posts
 Posted 07/13/2020  12:06 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Greasy Fingers to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Difficult to set a price/value on education
Pillar of the Community
United States
534 Posts
 Posted 07/13/2020  12:22 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Nieuw to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
to the CCF!
Generally, Machine Doubling doesn't help to increase a coin's grade. Here though, the condition of your LWC is pretty good on the other hand. That might bring the coin to a little premium, but not by much as this is the last year of the Wheat cent
Edited by Nieuw
07/13/2020 12:23 pm
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
45654 Posts
 Posted 07/13/2020  1:16 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Well bottom feeders sell these on eBay for a premium to the unleary newbies.

I'd never do that. I like to sleep at night. When they figure out they have been had, they come here and ask for us to explain what it is, and realize they have been took by a bottom feeder. How do you keep from having this happen to you? Ask questions here and take the time to know what you have/had/sold before you sell.
Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
Valued Member
United States
217 Posts
 Posted 07/13/2020  3:57 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sheldius to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Some people like MD coins if the spread area is very noticeable (seen with naked eye).

Like coop says, the coins should never be sold as a doubled die, but clearly labeled as machine or press doubling.

There is a whole market for the "poor man's" 1955, which is Machine Doubling. In my opinion that is on the edge of honest selling.

Learn More...
United States
88708 Posts
Pillar of the Community
United States
881 Posts
 Posted 07/13/2020  8:45 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CoinHunter17 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
There is a whole market for the "poor man's" 1955, which is Machine Doubling.

Don't mind if I correct you, but the poor man's die is an example of Die Deterioration Doubling.
Pillar of the Community
United States
3200 Posts
 Posted 07/13/2020  9:14 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add merclover to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Most consider Machine Doubling as damage, and damage doesn't increase a coin's value.

Please don't photograph your computer screen. Direct photographs are better so we can help you more. Thanks.
ša va bien aller
United States
29 Posts
 Posted 07/13/2020  10:31 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Cookie0220 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hi there. I would have looked at it and thought the same thing. It's hard for newbies to distinguish the difference between the two sometimes. But as I was told from an awesome teacher there are lots of sites out there that can help learn the knowledge you need to be good at a hobby you enjoy doing. Actually I have learned more watching a you tube channel than I learned on here or reading and looking at pics and now it's not just searching throw coins to me it's a fun and exciting hobby that I enjoy doing. So just because we don't know the spotters or Mark's to look for to know the difference doesn't mean anything at all so don't let people here discourage you with their rude and unnecessary comments. Keep doing what you do discover and have fun doing it!!
Quote:
Difficult to set a price/value on education

Quote:
Well bottom feeders sell these on eBay for a premium to the unleary newbies.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
45654 Posts
 Posted 07/13/2020  10:37 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
In a single roll of 1955 cents, I found 19 of them were the 'Poor man's so called doubled die.' Just an example of extreme die wear.
Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
United States
35 Posts
 Posted 07/14/2020  10:06 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Mrfixit505 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you all for the education. I really appreciate it. I will be asking for help in the future because I too want to be correct in my advertising or postings
Valued Member
United States
217 Posts
 Posted 07/14/2020  1:40 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sheldius to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Keep posting and learning. MD vs DDD vs Doubled Die is tough.

If you goto a site like varitey vista or Wexler's doubled die and find a date the DOESN'T have any doubled die listed in a common and cheap date, then purchase a few circulated rolls of that coin, you can really learn how much circulation damage can look like doubling. That's what I am learning from my bag of 5000 wheat cents.

Sorry for the misinformation on the 1955's being MD. I have seen clear MD examples listed that way, so more shady selling practices we can all avoid.

Previous TopicReplies: 15 / Views: 432Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.83 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05