Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Ottoman Coin That Confused Me? (Fake 1 Kuros)

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 8 / Views: 270Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
Serbia (Srbija)
502 Posts
 Posted 07/12/2020  1:44 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add mvojnovic to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I got this ottoman coin, it seems to be km#748 according to Kraus catalogue but coin as you can see from pics is not made of silver at least not 0.830 as km748 is. Also coin is little under weight for km748 its only 0.99 grams instead of 1.2
Since I havent found anything about it in catalogue can you help me ID it because I cant believe someone would counterfeit low value coin like this.

Pillar of the Community
United States
994 Posts
 Posted 07/12/2020  2:18 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Kushanshah to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If you look at the rim, it's clearly 2 pieces with one fitting neatly inside the other.
Learn More...
United States
16633 Posts
 Posted 07/12/2020  5:49 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yes seems to be a so-called Magician's coin. Typically we see them with US coins, but no reason why they couldn't be made from other country's coins/tokens.
"If you climb a good tree, you get a push."
-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2192 Posts
 Posted 07/12/2020  5:54 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add keith12 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Learn More...
Australia
13363 Posts
 Posted 07/12/2020  5:56 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Sap to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Except this isn't a "magician's coin" because such things are usually made from genuine coins; this piece is not and never was genuine. The engraving, particularly of the date-numerals, is much worse than on a genuine coin. It's presumably a circulating counterfeit, and presumably at one stage had some sort of silvery coating on it. Perhaps a mercury wash, which has since evaporated away.

Quote:
I cant believe someone would counterfeit low value coin like this.

That's precisely why such counterfeiting worked so well. Fewer people paid close attention to the low-denomination coins, so they're much more likely to get away with it. Remember, a counterfeit coin only has to fool one person, once, and it's mission accomplished for the counterfeiter. They don't care what happens to the counterfeit coin after that.
Don't say "infinitely" when you mean "very"; otherwise, you'll have no word left when you want to talk about something really infinite. - C. S. Lewis
Learn More...
United States
16633 Posts
 Posted 07/12/2020  6:05 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@sap, why the two-piece construction on a counterfeit? That seems like lots of extra work.
"If you climb a good tree, you get a push."
-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz

Valued Member
United States
181 Posts
 Posted 07/12/2020  7:40 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add HGK3 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm in the counterfeit camp as well.

I think the coin is supposed to be a 1 Kurus from 1909, silver. I agree that the date script appears off, as do the dentils on the reverse. They are uneven in length and width and at the top, about 1 o'clock, they appear to be split.

The stars also look poorly engraved.

While that secondary rim makes this look like a Magicians coin, at the top, especially around 12- 2 o'clock, it looks more solid.

I wonder if that secondary rim is the result of the strike? Can you tell us the diameter of the coin?

As for the low value arguing against it being counterfeit, I think just the opposite is true. The lowest value silver coin (such as this) was the one more likely to be faked because it's more likely to have been used in daily commerce and subjected to less scrutiny.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3597 Posts
 Posted 07/12/2020  8:23 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tdziemia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I'm in the counterfeit camp as well.

Me too.

Bronze for silver is a no-brainer. And I agree with @Sap that the numerals in the date are all wrong (also size of stars in proportion to the other devices, dentils on the toughra side as pointed out by HGK,etc., etc.)

Edited by tdziemia
07/12/2020 10:34 pm
Pillar of the Community
Serbia (Srbija)
502 Posts
 Posted 07/13/2020  08:30 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mvojnovic to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for your help guys.
This one will go to fake pile haha
  Previous TopicReplies: 8 / Views: 270Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.53 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05