Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1884 S Morgan Thoughts

Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 29 / Views: 678Next Topic
Page: of 2
Valued Member
United States
248 Posts
 Posted 07/12/2020  6:01 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add JasonKflo to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
any thoughts based on these photos?
scratch on the chin is on the holder and unfortunately the holder has lots of small scratches

Valued Member
United Kingdom
443 Posts
 Posted 07/12/2020  6:04 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add TobyJ to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Appears MS64 to me.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
49513 Posts
 Posted 07/12/2020  6:17 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Could we see an obverse pic with more light on the surfaces, like the reverse pic?
Valued Member
United States
248 Posts
 Posted 07/12/2020  7:12 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JasonKflo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

here are some with more lighting
Bedrock of the Community
United States
21181 Posts
 Posted 07/12/2020  7:21 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add IndianGoldEagle to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hard to tell if all the small scratches are on the coin or the holder.
Bedrock of the Community
Australia
17159 Posts
 Posted 07/12/2020  7:27 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I see obvious wear on the hair over the ear of Liberty.
AU-53.
Valued Member
United States
248 Posts
 Posted 07/12/2020  7:28 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JasonKflo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
there are alot of scratches on the holder unfortunately . Coin is graded normal if that helps
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1501 Posts
 Posted 07/12/2020  7:33 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add fortcollins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Solid strike. It looks like the coin was dipped and then mishandled (fingerprints). That hurts eye appeal, but wouldn't affect the technical grade. I don't think the toning is original, but it is market acceptable, so the coin should straight grade. I agree with MS-64 for the technical grade.
Valued Member
United States
248 Posts
 Posted 07/12/2020  7:45 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JasonKflo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
the toning has quite a bit of dark blue in it just not coming out in the pictures. I would assume from being in a album.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
5361 Posts
 Posted 07/12/2020  8:08 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add westernsky to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
AU 58 is my opinion.

It is very hard to get an 84-S into an MS holder due to the huge price disparity between AU and MS grades.

Nice looking coin!
Valued Member
United States
159 Posts
 Posted 07/12/2020  10:19 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add cboyera to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
AU55
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
49513 Posts
 Posted 07/12/2020  10:33 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It's a beauty. I'll suck it in and say AU-58, but hope it's better.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
21181 Posts
 Posted 07/13/2020  10:07 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add IndianGoldEagle to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
AU-58 straight grade.
Pillar of the Community
United States
946 Posts
 Posted 07/13/2020  10:11 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Ham1947 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
AU58 also. Wear on Eagles breast.
Pillar of the Community
United States
8990 Posts
 Posted 07/13/2020  10:39 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add panzaldi to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
the 84(S) are normally sharply struct. the reverse is a little weak which accounts for the flat breast. may have had a light dip in the pool and then in an album for quite a while which would account for the toning. I'm going with AU58 but think it only saw light circulation enough to touch the tips of the wings and the very highest points of the devices

if you look at the obverse you can see a delineation line running horizontal which is giving the coin a flatter duller field above the eye. this is more prevalent on the reverse where you can see these delineations in two place. at the bottom of the neck and under the talons indicating dips.
Valued Member
United States
248 Posts
 Posted 07/13/2020  2:53 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JasonKflo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@panzaldi would a dip not take off the luster? Coin has most it's luster . The coin grades straight so unless they thought it was not enough to detail it PCGS graded it normal. When I look at the coin in hand the scratches look the same as most every other similarly graded coin .or would they just knock it down a grade? Coin doesn't look cleaned to me . I guess a light dip would be possible if it didn't take any of the luster away or detail the coin . Some of those scratches to unfortunately are on the holder it has a few
Edited by JasonKflo
07/13/2020 2:55 pm
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 29 / Views: 678Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.73 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05