Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Improperly Annealed 1988 Quarter?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 8 / Views: 265Next Topic  

United States
18 Posts
 Posted 07/13/2020  05:20 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add SwmpOwl011 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Can someone help me clarify if this quarter is an improperly annealed mint error?

Also, I think this 1972 penny probably exhibits post mint damage instead of being a mint error but some verification would be nice. Thanks!!

Bedrock of the Community
United States
34851 Posts
 Posted 07/13/2020  07:16 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Quarter looks like environmental damage and the cent is PMD.
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 5+ Million Cents Since 1971
Learn More...
United States
16689 Posts
 Posted 07/13/2020  07:52 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@so, can you please post the weight of that quarter? Thx.
"If you climb a good tree, you get a push."
-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz

United States
18 Posts
 Posted 07/13/2020  09:39 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SwmpOwl011 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Sure! That was the first thing I did because I thought it might be missing it's clad layer, but the weight is within the normal range at 5.87g
Valued Member
United States
125 Posts
 Posted 07/13/2020  12:25 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Sir Derrin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I have dug quite a few quarters that look like that... I would bet it spent a while buried in the dirt some where.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
45743 Posts
 Posted 07/13/2020  1:11 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The cent may have been in a mint set and the sealing may have damaged it?

Now just a damaged coin.
Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
Pillar of the Community
United States
3232 Posts
 Posted 07/13/2020  9:30 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add merclover to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Since we have two coins in one thread, what do they have in common? Reasons vary, but both are PMD.
ša va bien aller
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
45743 Posts
 Posted 07/13/2020  9:32 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Both can go back into circulation.
Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
Pillar of the Community
United States
1071 Posts
 Posted 07/14/2020  1:28 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Big-Kingdom to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Spot on about the cent, cello sealing damage.

About the quarter, the edge indicates it was copper or bronze plated. it's the center one of the five edge coins pictures.
no idea why someone would do it, except to show off their plating abilities before someone forks over their baby shoes
  Previous TopicReplies: 8 / Views: 265Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.59 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05