Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Opinions Appreciated On Latest Krause Catalogs

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 4 / Views: 235Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
7290 Posts
 Posted 07/13/2020  10:11 am Show Profile   Check NumisRob's eBay Listings Bookmark this topic Add NumisRob to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I am considering buying a new Krause catalog (maybe two - 20th and 21st centuries), but would appreciate other CCF members' advice before I stump up the cash.

I bought the 1985 edition, which had all world coins from about 1750 to about 1984, and was very happy with it. I still use it frequently for reference. Of course, that was before Gibraltar, the Isle of Man, the Cook Islands, Marshall Islands, Tristan da Cunha and sundry other major world powers decided to swamp the universe with new NCLT issues...

In 2003 I bought the 2003 Standard Catalog covering 1901 to the present. I was very disappointed by it. It was badly edited: headings listing a particular denomination often contained irrelevant information referring to pre-1901 coins, such as references to 1878 varieties and CC mintmarks in the intro to Morgan dollars! I've also found quite a few errors and omissions, and the layout can be very annoying, especially when a denomination consists of both circulating and NCLT coins - you may have to wade through pages of listings of silver, gold and platinum proof dollars or pesos before getting to the single nickel-brass one issued for circulation! The values of many non-US coins are also highly suspect: for example, the rare and highly sought-after 1989 French Montesquieu commemorative 10-franc piece in UNC is valued at a mere US$17.50, whereas I have a French coin magazine, dating from the same year the catalog was printed, where a dealer is offering the same coin for 330 euros - then about US$400! This makes me wonder just how much you can trust any coin values in Krause...

I'd be grateful to hear from anyone with experience of more recent editions. Thanks!
Valued Member
United States
58 Posts
 Posted 07/13/2020  10:45 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Safaga to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I have a current set covering from 1600 to present day. As I collect most of the world, I use them frequently and almost daily during this coronavirus pandemic with limited outside activity. And yes, I find mistakes and omissions. But then I consider the mind-boggling amount of data that is in one of those volumes and I find I can excuse the errors.

With the demise of Krause Publications, does anyone know the future of these catalogs? They are slowly going out of date, especially for modern issues. Plus, the catalogs can certainly be improved and a new editor with a new set of procedures and processes could make for a better set.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
3544 Posts
 Posted 07/13/2020  12:33 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add oriole to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@numisrob, more recent editions suffer the same problems as the old ones. Even more NCLT, some poor editing, some new errors (a very recent 20th century one is missing a few pages of Japan, perhaps a printing error), and not all the old ones are corrected. There are still some very questionable prices.

That being said, unfortunately there is no handy alternative yet for the general body of world coinage. If you specialize in a few countries, the local country guides are better, but that is not useful for the generalist like I am. In most cases the prices are a useful general guide, and the catalogue will certainly identify key types and dates.

Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
7290 Posts
 Posted 07/15/2020  04:40 am  Show Profile   Check NumisRob's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add NumisRob to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks guys - much appreciated!
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3437 Posts
 Posted 07/15/2020  9:59 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add BStrauss3 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
You also need to know that the publisher went through bankruptcy and the catalogs are owned by somebody new.

Bertelsmann (Penguin) bought them mid 2019. This is a different company than bought the magazines (Active Interest Media), so the link between the two is now severed.

It remains to be seen if there will be new editions, how much resources the new owners are willing to put into them and whether losing access to the raw data for new coins handicaps things.

https://coinsweekly.com/bertelsmann...ublications/

-----Burton
46 year / Life ANA member (joined 12/1/1973)
Life member: Numismatics International, CONECA
Member: TNA, FtWCC, NETCC
Owned by four cats and a wife of 35 years (joined 1983)
  Previous TopicReplies: 4 / Views: 235Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.61 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05