Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Painted/Colored 1846 Large Cent

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 12 / Views: 450Next Topic  
Valued Member

United States
152 Posts
 Posted 07/13/2020  4:15 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add captaincoffee to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I bought this coin from a large cent "junk bowl" at the first coin show I ever attended 20-odd years ago. I guess it was not uncommon years ago to paint/color a cleaned large cent to make it look sort-of new. At the time, I just liked the idea of having a large cent with lots of details for only a few dollars. Looking at it now, I'm wondering if there is a way to remove the paint/color without damaging the coin. Not that I'm old, I'd rather have the original surfaces, even if pitted, than have the coin as an oddity. I don't mind keeping it as an oddity, but if anyone has advice on how to safely remove the color, I'd appreciate it. Thanks.

Pillar of the Community
Canada
2948 Posts
 Posted 07/13/2020  4:29 pm  Show Profile   Check silverwolf's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add silverwolf to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
100% pure acetone, would be your first option, and safest.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
49537 Posts
 Posted 07/13/2020  6:21 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Good idea, nothing to lose.
Valued Member
United States
152 Posts
 Posted 07/13/2020  6:27 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add captaincoffee to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Sorry...I should have said that I've tried acetone and it didn't do anything. I haven't tried anything else.
Pillar of the Community
United States
759 Posts
 Posted 07/13/2020  8:17 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add joecoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Paint thinner?
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
49537 Posts
 Posted 07/13/2020  8:23 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Agree, a good soak in paint thinner is the next step.
Edited by Coinfrog
07/13/2020 8:24 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
7709 Posts
 Posted 07/13/2020  8:45 pm  Show Profile   Check 52Raymo's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 52Raymo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Are you sure it's painted ?
Oregon coin geek.....*** GO BEAVS ! ! ! ***
Pillar of the Community
United States
511 Posts
 Posted 07/13/2020  9:05 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Ty2020b to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I would give xylene a shot, soak it overnight, And lightly roll over it with a qtip to remove what it has loosened. Have had a lot more success with it on copper than acetone.
Looks more like corrosion/ oxidation than paint to me. I've seen this once it's subject to an acid of some kind and then oxidizes.
Edited by Ty2020b
07/13/2020 9:08 pm
Bedrock of the Community
United States
16779 Posts
 Posted 07/13/2020  9:54 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Conder101 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
From the image it doesn't look like it is painted.
Gary Schmidt
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2207 Posts
 Posted 07/14/2020  09:27 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add cipster to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm not seeing the paint. It looks like corrosion from the picture.

Just a comment about xylene - be very careful as it is more toxic than acetone. Ventilation is very important.
Member ANA and EAC

"You got to lose to know how to win".
Dream On by Aerosmith
Valued Member
United States
152 Posts
 Posted 07/14/2020  09:30 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add captaincoffee to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Not sure if this pic captures it better or not, but in hand it certainly looks like it has been recolored. I didn't think it was oxidation because it is almost perfectly uniform and smooth across the coin and the color doesn't look right. Under the digital microscope (better detail but color is off) the surface doesn't seem particularly corroded. Appreciate everyone's advice/thoughts.

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
632 Posts
 Posted 07/14/2020  09:38 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mtuma3 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I've never used it on a coin, but MEK {methyl ethyl ketone) is my go-to when acetone fails (I used it on my airplane)... Just use it in an open space, the fumes are brutal and can be mildly explosive...
(One step up from Xylene)
Mark
ANA Member
Official Snowbird! Illinois in Summer, Somewhere warm in Winter
My7070
Edited by mtuma3
07/14/2020 09:41 am
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1503 Posts
 Posted 07/14/2020  7:59 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add fortcollins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I agree with the upthread comments that it looks acid washed. That would explain why the acetone didn't do anything.
  Previous TopicReplies: 12 / Views: 450Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.58 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05