Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

My Experiences With A Submission To ANACS

Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 80 / Views: 3,037Next Topic
Page: of 6
Pillar of the Community
United States
2652 Posts
 Posted 07/20/2020  9:03 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add hfjacinto to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
The Back Story:

In my opinion (and it's just that) the vast majority of coins don't need to be slabbed. The overwhelming majority of modern coins don't need to be slabbed. BUT there are several reasons why one should get a coin slabbed. These are what I feel are valid reasons to slab a coin:
1) The value of the coin is high. High is up to you, I have $1200 coins that aren't slabbed. I have $120 coins that are slabbed.

2) You are going to sell on eBay. You don't need to get a coin slabbed, but if you want to sell a high grade coin on eBay, slabbing makes sense as you can show the coin is genuine and has a 3rd party non biased grade.
3) It's a series you like and you want to differentiate it from the rest of your collection. Note: This is subjective, I have low cost and high cost coins in this condition. For example I really like 1943 steel cents so I have the series slabbed. Although these are low cost coins I like them and the cost of a slabbed coin was worth it.

So after reading this thread: http://goccf.com/t/378607
I had a few coins that met condition 3 and while there is not guaranteed future profit, I believe that the coins I was going to slab had a possible upside. So I did some research and decided to go with Anacs to do my slabs.

The reasons for selecting Anacs, has really to do with cost and the grade that Anacs typically gives, which in my opinion is pretty accurate. Not as accurate as PCGS but much more accurate than NGC (I have gotten detailed coins from NGC straight graded). This thread will detail my experiences with Anacs. Everything from filling out the form to getting the coin back. So lets get to the next section....
Edited by hfjacinto
07/20/2020 9:33 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
2652 Posts
 Posted 07/20/2020  9:15 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add hfjacinto to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
After deciding on Anacs, I had to get my coins ready. Since Anacs had a special of $109 for 10 coins with shipping included, I needed to get 2 more coins as my initial set consisted of 8 coins. So what coins did I decide to do?

I really like limited time commemoratives, like the Westward Journey series in Nickels and the Lincoln Commemorative series of 2009. I had purchased the 8 coins in satin finish of the set and also had several sets of the westward journey. After going through all the coins I decided on the following:
The 2009 Lincoln Commemorative - This was the one set I wanted to slab, as I liked the series, the mint produced these in 95% copper and 5% tin and zinc, these are also one of the lowest mintage of coins not in proof finish. This consists of 8 coins in P and D mint. I've also noticed that the "zincolns" are terribly made, they can be perfectly stored and just get random zinc rot zits. I've also seen that a little bit of moisture will cause the coin to discolor and have to be recycled. Having 150 year old copper cents still looking good, makes me expect that these will last a long time.
The 2004 S Bison Nickel - Look I like bisons, no other reason
And the last was a 2020 W Samoa quarter. Which I won in a contest here and it's just a nice quarter.

Edited by hfjacinto
07/20/2020 9:56 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
2652 Posts
 Posted 07/20/2020  9:19 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add hfjacinto to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
So what do I think the coins will grade?
All the Lincoln commerratives I'm expecting an MS66/67. The formative years P may grade MS65/66.
The Bison Nickel, I would say PF69
The Samoa quarter I would say MS65

So none are best of the best, but this isn't about that.
Pillar of the Community
5464 Posts
 Posted 07/20/2020  9:24 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add USSID18 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I only use ANACS for the reasons you listed, plus customer service. I'm waiting for one to come back now.

When do you expect to receive your coins?
Pillar of the Community
United States
2652 Posts
 Posted 07/20/2020  9:29 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add hfjacinto to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Lets actually get to what this is about. Its about the grading experience.

After selecting Anacs, I went on the website and downloaded a form to fill out my information. On top of the form they ask for any codes, in this case I entered the $109 special price code. You then need to fill out your information, the coins you are grading (coin, year, mint and if there are any varieties you want to research). Anacs also gives you the opinion of "conserving" your coin, which to me means a dip in some chemical to "conserve" the coin. I decided to skip this section.

Then you enter you credit card information.

Anacs gives you instruction on packing your coins, since all mine where in 2 by 2 with staples I had to remove them and put them in clear flips and wrap them in a rubber band (hence why one coin may grade lower as it fell while I was removing from the 2 by 2).

Coins where packed in an USPS small flat rate box and shipped to Anacs. Usually USPS has 2 speeds (stalled or stopped) but the coins made it to Anacs in 2 days.

In the mean time Anacs recommends you create an account so you can follow your order, which I did.

The package was shipped on 7/13, got to Anacs on 7/15 and due to COVID, they hold your package for 2 days before they open it. On 7/20 I got an email my order was received and when I checked my order on-line, the coins were already listed.

Edited by hfjacinto
07/20/2020 9:32 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
2652 Posts
 Posted 07/20/2020  9:31 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add hfjacinto to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
So far, I am very pleased. The pricing was good. The tracking and email notification was on time and the turnaround time seems appropriate.

Since this is a long term adventure, I'll keep you updated as the process flows.

Thanks for following my journey.
Pillar of the Community
5464 Posts
 Posted 07/20/2020  9:36 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add USSID18 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
as it fell

Really? I guess you're not kidding! Ouch! Staples and coins don't mix in it's was to ANACS.

I'm sure you will be satisfied with the service. I hope you will be satisfied with the grades you receive.
Edited by USSID18
07/20/2020 9:41 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
3607 Posts
 Posted 07/20/2020  9:38 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Greasy Fingers to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Pillar of the Community
United States
2652 Posts
 Posted 07/20/2020  9:49 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add hfjacinto to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Really? I guess you're not kidding! Ouch! Staples and coins don't mix in it's was to ANACS.

Yep. At least I didn't scratch it. I checked it over with a loop and didn't see anything, it also fell on carpet.

While, I can grade pretty well the lower grades when we get to MS states I'm generally not certain what constitutes the higher grades. I have coins that are highly graded that I question the grade for example, this is MS64 to me, but NGC gives it MS66?

While this coin, I see nothing wrong with it and its a Prooflike 65. I would grade this one higher,

Pillar of the Community
United States
2652 Posts
 Posted 07/20/2020  9:53 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add hfjacinto to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I'm sure you will be satisfied with the service. I hope you will be satisfied with the grades you receive.

Thank you, I think I will be with both. In the end this is more an experiment than anything else. Its to see how good I am at grading, how the experience turns out and whether after all is said and done, I think it was worth it.
Pillar of the Community
5464 Posts
 Posted 07/20/2020  9:57 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add USSID18 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
While, I can grade pretty well the lower grades when we get to MS states I'm generally not certain what constitutes the higher grades. I have coins that are highly graded that I question the grade for example, this is MS64 to me, but NGC gives it MS66?

You and me both. I've questioned grades from time-to-time as well. Like this one! What do you think it is?

Pillar of the Community
5464 Posts
 Posted 07/20/2020  9:59 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add USSID18 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Thank you, I think I will be with both. In the end this is more an experiment than anything else. Its to see how good I am at grading, how the experience turns out and whether after all is said and done, I think it was worth it.

Exactly! I'm testing my non-professional grading skills as well.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2652 Posts
 Posted 07/20/2020  10:04 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add hfjacinto to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Your Bison Nickel was earlier in the life of the die than mine was. So while your's looks nicer than mine, that rim ding at 11 and at 1 along with the minor ding around the feathers holds the front to MS65. The observe looks really nice still. It has nice eye appeal.

The reverse has some wear on the high points (shoulder and tail) of the bison.A rim ding at 4 and something by the S. I would say MS64 Obverse.

I would probably grade it MS65, with above average eye appeal. But it's really hard to grade high MS coins just from a picture.
Pillar of the Community
5464 Posts
 Posted 07/20/2020  10:11 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add USSID18 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Surprise! I think I got ripped off! If it was a high value coin, I would break it out and re-submit it. Oh well!

Pillar of the Community
United States
2652 Posts
 Posted 07/20/2020  10:15 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add hfjacinto to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Surprise! I think I got ripped off! If it was a high value coin, I would break it out and re-submit it. Oh well!

WOW!! I don't agree with that grade at all.. I do see the high point wear. But unless the pictures are hiding wear on the obverse, I don't see it.

Here check this one out.

Here is the coin.

How is it not detailed?

Edited by hfjacinto
07/20/2020 10:17 pm
Pillar of the Community
5464 Posts
 Posted 07/20/2020  10:24 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add USSID18 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Jeeezzzz! You're right! Did you submit the coin that way or did it grow on the coin after it was slabbed?
Page: of 6 Previous TopicReplies: 80 / Views: 3,037Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.77 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05