Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Crimping Staples - Found Better Tool Than Electrician Plyers - Just An FYI

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 13 / Views: 605Next Topic  
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
285 Posts
 Posted 07/24/2020  6:36 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Snoopydoo to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hello,

Awhile back I learned on here about the subject of needing to crimp the staples on my 2X2 coin flips. I asked what everyone used to do that and the general consensus was a pair of Electricians pliers.

So I was off and running. After completing about a 1000 flips I noticed a couple things, that I really didn't like about them.

1) the head wasn't wide enough to fully cover the entire staple so I was still crimping each staple twice, to get both ends completely crimped.

2) I had to manually re-open the pliers each time.

Now if your just doing a flip here and there, no big deal. But I have multi-thousands of coins in flips I'm trying to go back and crimp. So I started to look around for a better solution.

I found Jewelers Duck Billed pliers. They are wider than the staple, and I found some sets either have a spring or something similar that makes them reopen after you crimp. With my arthritis any help is welcome.

I just wanted to pass on my findings in the hope it will help others who crimp their staples. I'm not going to recommend any certain type or any specific seller, they are abundant on eBay or google, or your hardware store. I've seen them range in price from about $16-$25.

Not a bad tool to have when now I can cover an entire staple with one squeeze.

Here's a couple of pictures.

Hope everyone is having s safe and wonderful day.
Pillar of the Community
United States
6590 Posts
 Posted 07/24/2020  6:51 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Earle42 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice suggestion - thanks!
- When I value " being right" more than what IS right, I am then right...a fool.
- How much squash could a Sasquatch squash if a Sasquatch would squash squash?
- Prosp long and liver.
Pillar of the Community
Australia
630 Posts
 Posted 07/24/2020  11:20 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coaster to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I just use a flat clinch stapler ... saves a lot of time!

This is the one that I currently use.

Valued Member
United States
175 Posts
 Posted 07/25/2020  12:04 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add captaincoffee to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Agree with the flat cinch stapler. I couldn't imagine doing lots of 2x2 flips without one. Same price as the posted pliers solution, a lot easier, and I'm guessing better results.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
19582 Posts
 Posted 07/25/2020  09:17 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add just carl to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Of course if you just hit them with a rock against another rock you could save money by not buying any pliers.
just carl
Pillar of the Community
Australia
630 Posts
 Posted 07/25/2020  09:47 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coaster to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Of course if you just hit them with a rock against another rock you could save money by not buying any pliers.

Please explain?
Edited by coaster
07/25/2020 09:49 am
Pillar of the Community
5464 Posts
 Posted 07/25/2020  10:09 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add USSID18 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Good tip. Thanks Snoopy!
Pillar of the Community
United States
6590 Posts
 Posted 07/25/2020  11:19 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Earle42 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The first flat clinch stapler I got (from Staples) quit working after a short time . It clogged, I cleared it out, and then it would not staple anymore - just clog or not try to eject/clinch a staple at all.

I took that one back and got another. Same thing. So I went back to pliers.

- When I value " being right" more than what IS right, I am then right...a fool.
- Prosp long and liver.
Edited by Earle42
07/25/2020 11:21 am
Pillar of the Community
Canada
3633 Posts
 Posted 07/25/2020  5:13 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add oriole to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I have also have mixed results. My stapler does not clog but it does not "clinch" them all the way, at least not all the time.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
8090 Posts
 Posted 07/25/2020  5:50 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add DBM to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I've had no problems at all with my Staples flat clinch stapler.
Done over 1000 2x2s and a few thousand in my wife's crafty things.
Still going strong after many years use, no need for pliers.

PS We only use Swingline Premium staples, we found that using dollar store and Staples brand staples gave inconsistent results.
"Dipping" is not considered cleaning...
-from PCGS website
Edited by DBM
07/25/2020 5:59 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
6590 Posts
 Posted 07/25/2020  6:42 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Earle42 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Interesting about the Swingline Premium staples - need to try this. I think I likely got mine at Staples.
- Prosp long and liver.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
14018 Posts
 Posted 07/25/2020  10:26 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add T-BOP to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I bought my flat clinch stapler and staples from Wizard coin supplies about 6 years ago . never had a clogged staple and staples flat every time .
Proud Member of The Black Sheep Squadron !
In Memory of Fallen Black Sheep Mates .
Learn More...
United States
90087 Posts
 Posted 07/27/2020  11:34 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I found Jewelers Duck Billed pliers. They are wider than the staple, and I found some sets either have a spring or something similar that makes them reopen after you crimp
Nice suggestion.
United States
44 Posts
 Posted 08/06/2020  07:49 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add fredcdobbs to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Agree with the flat cinch stapler. I couldn't imagine doing lots of 2x2 flips without one. Same price as the posted pliers solution, a lot easier, and I'm guessing better results.

Old saying "use the right tool for the job"

I use a Max HD-50DF
  Previous TopicReplies: 13 / Views: 605Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.8 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05