Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

A Ring And An Old Coin All In One

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 2 / Views: 188Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2524 Posts
 Posted 07/24/2020  11:06 pm Show Profile   Check Paul Bulgerin's eBay Listings Bookmark this topic Add Paul Bulgerin to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I received permission to detect at a rural church built around 1890. I went out for a couple of hours this morning and didn't find much of anything except a small silver ring.

When I got home and washed it off I noticed what looked like lettering around the inside rim edges. I showed it to my daughter who said that she thought the ring was made from a silver coin. She was right.

After a bit of investigation we could read FRANCAI on one edge and EGALITE on the other. It turns out the coin was made from a silver French 50 Centimes, a type struck between 1897-1920.

I would love to think that a World War I U.S. Doughboy either bought the ring in France in 1917-1918 and brought it home for a loved one or that a soldier brought home the coin and later had it made into a ring. Of course, I'll never know, but my mind has fancied the image of a young girl in the 1920s, saddened when she lost the ring her father brought home for her from France, while playing outside of her church one day.

Paul Bulgerin
Edited by Paul Bulgerin
07/24/2020 11:08 pm
Valued Member
United States
314 Posts
 Posted 07/25/2020  11:25 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add fplagge to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice story. Thank you.
Pillar of the Community
United States
6427 Posts
 Posted 07/25/2020  11:55 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Earle42 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Very nice find. If only these old historic items could tell us their story.
- When I value " being right" more than what IS right, I am then right...a fool.
- How much squash could a Sasquatch squash if a Sasquatch would squash squash?
- Prosp long and liver.
  Previous TopicReplies: 2 / Views: 188Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.39 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05