Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Bought Some 'Unknown Coins' Off Ebay

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 8 / Views: 492Next Topic  
Germany
14 Posts
 Posted 08/05/2020  3:35 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Ocra00 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
First off, I am fairly new to coin collecting - so I'm trying to build a nice collection at the moment.

I received some coins in the mail today, that were sold as 'unknown' off Ebay for a low price.

I am wary of counterfeiters using this as an excuse to sell their junk, but these seem genuine judging by the wear on the coins.

I managed to identify most of them (but as you can see in my other post I didn't manage to get them all).

Does any of you know if this collection contains something more special or rare?

1. Byzantine, Follis. Not sure though from which time or ruler though.
2. Milan, Filippo II, Trillina (1556-1598 ND)
3. Catalonia, Louis XIV, Dinero (1645)
4. Nicea, Severus Alexander (222 - 235)
5. Siege of Maastricht, 16 Stuiver (1579)
6. Solferino, Carolus Gonzaga, 1 Soldo (1644-1678)
7. Unknown

Edited by Ocra00
08/05/2020 4:02 pm
Learn More...
United States
23220 Posts
 Posted 08/05/2020  3:44 pm  Show Profile   Check echizento's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add echizento to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The first coin is Arab-Byzantine, nice group.
Bedrock of the Community
Australia
17289 Posts
 Posted 08/05/2020  8:12 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Quite a few respected coins dealers and also quite a few respected home based collectors who buy and sell coins on line use eBay.

Most of them a are quite honest and a few of them are vulnerable to making honest mistakes (including me), when it comes to offering coins that can be difficult to fully identify and establish a reliable authenticity and independently provable provenance. Upon receipt of coins via eBay such as these,
the buyer should be in a position to research and satisfy himself that what has been received is authentic.
In these situations, it is essential that the buyer has a 100% guaranteed return option if not happy with what has been received.

It these eBay buying condition can be met, it is
the equivalent of face to face coin dealing, and reproducing the conditions for the intending buyer to closely inspect each coin before deciding to buy.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I agree with echiento, and from screen pictures alone, you seem to have made a good purchase.

Edited by sel_69l
08/05/2020 8:36 pm
Learn More...
United States
17137 Posts
 Posted 08/05/2020  8:50 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
My fave is the 16 Stuiver.
"If you climb a good tree, you get a push."
-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz

Pillar of the Community
United States
3514 Posts
 Posted 08/05/2020  9:42 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add KenKat to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I don't know much about ancients, but that looks like an awesome set of coins to have stumbled upon. This is the type of thing that gets me excited about collecting. You shell out a few dollars or euros and you get antiquity and history in return. Just fantastic.
Edited by KenKat
08/05/2020 9:43 pm
Pillar of the Community
Russian Federation
3175 Posts
 Posted 08/06/2020  02:57 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add january1may to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I don't know much about ancients, but that looks like an awesome set of coins to have stumbled upon. This is the type of thing that gets me excited about collecting. You shell out a few dollars or euros and you get antiquity and history in return. Just fantastic.
that's an awesome bunch of coins. I'd love to have each of numbers 2-6 individually (though of course I've had my own finds that came close, such as the infamous R8 Elbing solidus).

I wonder how much you paid...

Quote:
My fave is the 16 Stuiver.
Same, but only because it's so outstanding. As I've mentioned, I personally would have been happy to have just one of them, except perhaps 1 (don't know much about Arab-Byzantines) and maybe 7 depending on what it turns out to be.

(4 is admittedly slightly boring, though even then it's from an emperor I don't have.)
Germany
14 Posts
 Posted 08/06/2020  4:58 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Ocra00 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hey there, thanks for all the nice replies!

I'm also really happy with this set - I just got ripped of a couple of weeks ago by someone selling ' inherited' coins that turned out to be fakes, so that's why I wrote I'm wary of the counterfeiters.

*** Edited by Staff | The bad word filter is in place for a reason. Bypassing the filter and making the intended word obvious anyway is completely unacceptable. ***

My favourite is also the Maastricht coin, also because I focus on dutch coins from 1400-1800 at the moment. That's the one that cost me the most, about 15 euros. The others were 3-4 euros a piece, all from the same seller.

I guess the auction didn't really work out for the seller as he photographed his coins very poorly (and they were classified as 'unknown'). Only after editing the pictures I could make out the details so I knew what he was selling. So that's how I ended up getting most of them cheap. There were many more, also some I suspected that were silver going for 15 euro.. but I decided not to buy them all as it was a gamble after all.

The last coin was identified as an anonymous civic copper coin of Bukhara, dated 832 by Kushanshah (big thanks !)
Learn More...
United States
17137 Posts
 Posted 08/06/2020  5:03 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@ocra, please don't mention that website, even tangentially. Thx.
"If you climb a good tree, you get a push."
-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz

Germany
14 Posts
 Posted 08/06/2020  5:07 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Ocra00 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
One more thing : As I posted this last night, I noticed there was one coin missing that I ordered.. I was wondering if I got it at all - but I just threw the envelope and packaging in the trash, so I ended up digging up my trash can and well, there was that coin - luckily it was still nicely packed in between the torn paper. It was a Quattrino from the Duchy of Urbino Italy (1574-1624). Luckily it came out of my trash can unscathed and is now safely stored with the other coins.

(I'm sorry Spence, I wasn't aware the regulations are that strict - I detest that website in all honesty, so it's a good thing that restriction is in place. I will be more careful in the future!)
Edited by Ocra00
08/06/2020 6:18 pm
  Previous TopicReplies: 8 / Views: 492Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.72 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05